Customer Service 866.965.0400

Backed Van into some trucks bumper...

Dv3andrs

Question

Hello all! Ok, so I have a 2011 dodge grand caravan. I was backing into a parking space and was a little rushed due to some traffic behind me...I put the drivers side rear fender, behind the tire, into the rear bumper of an F-150. The truck is fine, in fact, I was able to gather the paint off his bumper, didn't leave a scratch...on my van though, it's now dented, and scratched really bad down to what looks like bare metal or possibly bondo...not quite sure. Anyway, we took it to a body shop and don't have the 1400 needed to get the panel fixed right now. I just generally want to add some protection with winter on it's way, would it be safe to wetsand and then...Not sure from here. Suggestions?! Thanks ahead of time!

4 answers to this question

Yeah I talked to them, it's a 500 deductible, the wife and I have accident forgiveness, but they aren't sure if they'll do the forgiveness thing. Our current thought is that since winter is approaching to just protect it for now, and then fix it come spring when we have either the 500 or the 1400 laying around.

being on the fender are you able to reach behind where the dent is and try knocking it out yourself? Afterwards I would clay and then polish with some 4" pads if you have them and then just protect with your choice. Thats what I would do personally.

heck with most shows nowadays like Stacey Davids Gears n weekend powerblock they give people ideas on how to save money n do stuff yourself. If your not comfortable knocking it out yourself find a body shop who will just knock out the dent the hell with repainting it tell em youll deal with the scratches n see what they say.

Edited by ExpressThis13

I'm able to get right at the lip, I might give it a shot, i've got confidence I can knock it out so it just looks like some terrible scratches. I just don't want to take it into the shop and get it all fixed up, just for winter to come around and some idiot that can't drive...like all of them down in the VA Beach area...slide into us in the same area and have to get it fixed all over again. If it makes it unscathed through winter, i'll probably get it fixed. For now i'm thinking of doing as Eric mentioned, knock it out, and probably wet sand just to get it more uniform, then severe swirl it with the 4" pads and call it a day with some buttery wax.