Customer Service 866.965.0400

how long after a repaint before I can polish?

dfrye70

Question

My Crystal Red Metallic 3 month old corvette developed a very small paint blister near the door handle. The entire door was repainted under warranty. Color match is good but I can see quite a bit of orange peel and it is driving me a little crazy. I do not want to give it back to them as it took almost 3 weeks to get done in the first place and I'm afraid they will make it worse.

How long before I can attempt to polish and which product should I use? I initially used the orange pad as it was a brand new car. Is that adequate or will I need the green pad?

They left a card in the car saying no polish for 90 days. The manager said 30 days. What is correct?

9 answers to this question

I've seen several answers to this question so I am unable to confirm this.

The general rule of thumb around here is to wait a full 90 days for the paint to out-gas before sealing or waxing it. Feel free to polish after 60, however, waiting the full 90 is your best bet.

You can sand, compound, and polish to your hearts content almost immediately following a paint job. You just can't apply a sealant or wax for the period of time specified by the paint manufacturer as it will seal in the gasses from off gassing of the paint as it cures and could result in solvent pop or other finish failures.

Here is the full thread

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/general-detailing-discussion-questions/19758.htm

IMHO i feel like waiting for at least the 60 days to polish (if not more). However I feel like using only polishes/compounds right away will not hurt.

I was hoping some of the Adam's crew would chime in. When I see Mook using the phrase "around here" I assume he means at the warehouse. So in the end I favor his advice.

Any other takers on this?!?!?! I don't want to leave Gary hanging on an answer.

Asking the painter/shop is the safest bet because they are the ones with the reputation on the line. There are too many factors to say 30, 60, 90 days and only the painter/shop will know what they have done and how if affects the cure time of the paint. Water-based paints require different cure times than solvent-based paints. Bottom line, there really is no universal answer. Generally speaking, you can polish fresh paint (24-72 hours) provided you aren't using a polish/compound that is highly aggressive. However, the rule of thumb for sealing has always varied by paint system. I've seen waiting times that were same day through 90 days. Ask your painter and follow their recommendation to be absolutely safe.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I am a little concerned with not having any protection for that long but I guess there is no alternative.

When the time comes and I can actually work on the orange peel what should I use? Still relatively new to the Adams products.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I am a little concerned with not having any protection for that long but I guess there is no alternative.

When the time comes and I can actually work on the orange peel what should I use? Still relatively new to the Adams products.

Just do your best to keep it clean while you are waiting for the paint to cure. Frequent 2-bucket washes using proper wash technique will be your friend while you wait.

Like others have said, you can polish shortly after a repaint, just not wax/seal.

There are plenty of pure polishes on the market that consist mostly of oils that can be used. Although they are termed glazes in many instances, and come off after the car is washed, they can form a temporary protective barrier until the outgassing period passes.