Customer Service 866.965.0400

What products do I need! Pics inside!

Twostrokeking

Question

Hey guys! This is my first post! I am 16 years old and I live in Utah. I drive a 1995 Chevy K1500 with a 4" lift. This is my dream truck and it is definitely my baby. I worked my butt off for it! Anyways, i really baby it and try to keep it as clean as possible. I wash and wax is at least twice a month with mothers caranuba. I am ready to finally get this thing looking sweet!! The paint is by no means perfect but I know it can be better. It has a TON of swirls in it and fine scratches. There really is no professional detailers around here and I want it done with Adams as I have seen and heard of great results. I snagged the buffer brand new off craigslist for 15 bucks. What products do i need from adams to get my truck looking great with no swirls.

First the truck.

108_0426.jpg

Now the buffer

DSCF1839.jpg

:pc:

11 answers to this question

Welcome to the forums Trevor. I personally have not used a craftsman buffer but I can respect you wanting to be on a budget but also look into keeping your ride looking great. For you I would do SHR and FMP as far as pads im not sure how it would work for you on that buffer if you can get some medium and light polishing pads definatly do not get an aggressive pad especially being a forced rotation (Im not sure what craftsman is) of course finish off with a nice wax/sealant. I would recommend buttery wax for you. Of course make sure you clay before doing any polishing. Of course please watch the videos it will answer alot of questions for you.

That little thing sucks I'm sorry, my cousin has one and it.does not have what it takes to correct paint, its a wax spreader at best. But I to am also glad to see you show interest in having a nice shiny ride!! You should probably invest in the clay bar, revive hand polish, swirl and haze remover and some buttery wax.

First off...

:welcomebanner:

Second, I give you major credit for trying to stay on a budget and doing the research to find what fits your price range. Having said that, I'm sure the Craftsman will get you by in the mean time, but I would consider saving my pennies and looking in the garage sale section of Adam's Forums for a used PC-7424XP...they typically can be found in there for around a hundred dollar bill...just some food for thought.

To answer your main question, you're going to need some polish, and honestly the package deals are the way to go! :thumbsup: Adam's sells a 3 pack of their polishes and that would be the route I would go. Make sure to watch the videos, and then watch 'em again! Never fails, there's always something you'll miss and/or forget once game day actually comes! :D

As previously stated, clay bar is also essential in the polishing process. Check the video out on that one as well, good stuff! Also, not sure if you have any of the non-machine polishing items, but their shampoo is fantastic! Also, the great white was what got me hooked on Adam's, that is one thirsty towel!

I too once used a wax that might very closely resemble the one you used (wink wink) and I can tell you right now, that buttery BLOWS THAT OTHER CRAP OUT OF THE WATER! :) Buttery is the budget friendly wax, but it's REALLY good stuff. It's actually all i've ever bought, I'm asking for Americana for Christmas...which if you're having a hard time thinking of what to ask Santa for, I'm fairly certain that Mook moonlights as one of Santa elves! :jester:

Man, that was a novel! Hope it wasn't too boring or mundane and of course if you have any other questions, this is the friendliest place on Earth! :2thumbs:

First off...

Second, I give you major credit for trying to stay on a budget and doing the research to find what fits your price range. Having said that, I'm sure the Craftsman will get you by in the mean time, but I would consider saving my pennies and looking in the garage sale section of Adam's Forums for a used PC-7424XP...they typically can be found in there for around a hundred dollar bill...just some food for thought.

To answer your main question, you're going to need some polish, and honestly the package deals are the way to go! :thumbsup: Adam's sells a 3 pack of their polishes and that would be the route I would go. Make sure to watch the videos, and then watch 'em again! Never fails, there's always something you'll miss and/or forget once game day actually comes! :D

As previously stated, clay bar is also essential in the polishing process. Check the video out on that one as well, good stuff! Also, not sure if you have any of the non-machine polishing items, but their shampoo is fantastic! Also, the great white was what got me hooked on Adam's, that is one thirsty towel!

I too once used a wax that might very closely resemble the one you used (wink wink) and I can tell you right now, that buttery BLOWS THAT OTHER CRAP OUT OF THE WATER! :) Buttery is the budget friendly wax, but it's REALLY good stuff. It's actually all i've ever bought, I'm asking for Americana for Christmas...which if you're having a hard time thinking of what to ask Santa for, I'm fairly certain that Mook moonlights as one of Santa elves! :jester:

Man, that was a novel! Hope it wasn't too boring or mundane and of course if you have any other questions, this is the friendliest place on Earth! :2thumbs:

Thanks!! Everyone sure is nice!! I will keep an eye out for a buffer like that. I just worry about burning the paint. I was thinking id ask for some for christmas. I know i need the swirl and haze remover but I cant seem to find a kit that has all that! ill watch though! (:

Welcome to the forums Trevor. I personally have not used a craftsman buffer but I can respect you wanting to be on a budget but also look into keeping your ride looking great. For you I would do SHR and FMP as far as pads im not sure how it would work for you on that buffer if you can get some medium and light polishing pads definatly do not get an aggressive pad especially being a forced rotation (Im not sure what craftsman is) of course finish off with a nice wax/sealant. I would recommend buttery wax for you. Of course make sure you clay before doing any polishing. Of course please watch the videos it will answer alot of questions for you.

Thank you!! Ill keep everyone posted

First off...

Good advice right there.

Welcome!

Adam's Three Step Machine Car Polish Bundle

As far as burning the paint is concerned, with the PC-7424XP you can literally hold it in the same place for a prolonged period of time and it will not burn the paint. The PC oscillates rather than rotates, therefore it doesn't produce enough heat to burn the paint.

The Flex is a little more aggressive but still is more forgiving than a rotary polisher. Some of the big dogs on this site are a little more savy in this department than myself.

It really is a great community, just wait until you have the chance to meet some of these guys in person! They're great!

Adam's Three Step Machine Car Polish Bundle

As far as burning the paint is concerned, with the PC-7424XP you can literally hold it in the same place for a prolonged period of time and it will not burn the paint. The PC oscillates rather than rotates, therefore it doesn't produce enough heat to burn the paint.

The Flex is a little more aggressive but still is more forgiving than a rotary polisher. Some of the big dogs on this site are a little more savy in this department than myself.

It really is a great community, just wait until you have the chance to meet some of these guys in person! They're great!

Gonna try to get that kit you linked, some buttery wax and this for christmas!!

6 in. Variable Speed Random Orbit Polisher-7424XP at The Home Depot

Now you're thinking! :pc:

But when you purchase from Adam's, they offer a lifetime warranty on their machines. You're going to need pads and polishes to go with the PC, and this kit includes all of the above.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-733-adams-basic-porter-cable-7424-xp-polisher-kit.aspx

I know on the surface it looks expensive, but if you tack in your 10% forum member discount, its going to equal about the same amount as purchasing from the home depot and then purchasing the pads and polishes seperate, but like I said if you go through Adam's you get that lifetime warranty! :2thumbs:

I would ask your parents for a gift certificate if it were me, and be sure to play that whole "I'll practice on your car" card....that always helps grease the wheels! :) If anyone else gives you any cash or anything, you can put it toward that PC kit, just something to think about friend!

watch the Detailing Videos

your on the right track... when i was your age, i thought Turtle Wax rubbing compound applied by hand protected the paint :lolsmack:

what soap are you using if your having to wax it every other week? i'm assuming you don't park in a garage? with the proper car wash soap, washing technique, and wax you won't need to reapply wax for a month, or two, or three!

also, it would be much easier if you started off with the FLEX instead! you say there are a ton of swirls, well the FLEX is the polisher you want to get the job done in a timely manner. don't get me wrong i love my PC and it will remove swirls and fine scratches, but will take more passes. and for those fine scratches you'll want to get the 4" focus pad kit.

I agree that the Flex or PC is the way to go to correct the swirls, but first things first you need to make sure you wash it properly.

This kit plus the clay bar (or some combination of those products) will get you started right.

If you think it will be a while before you get a machine, this kit has all you need to get it done by hand. I guarantee (and so does Adam's 110 percent!) you'll get improved results over whatever you're using now!:2thumbs:

Edited by Redbeard