Customer Service 866.965.0400

Too Much Detailing?

Vettextasy

Question

Santa was good to me and brought a Porter Cable and machine polishing kit. One concern however is it possible to do too much polishing to a finish? I understand that the Porter Cable will not burn the finish, but if I machine polish it once a month or so will I eventually wear away the clear coat?

On a side note to Adam, Last summer Jason detailed my Vette at Bloomington Gold, did a great job. I just wanted to thank both of you. My Metallic Purple '95 vette never looked so good, as riding off the grounds. I was hooked and had to go the machine route. It was just a matter of time.

13 answers to this question

Hi Harley

Welcome to AF :welcomebanner:

If you need to polish once a month you are probably doing a few things wrong such as your wash technique or not wiping the dust off properly. But even if you were to polish once a month or so it would probably, depending on the quality of the paint, take you 50 years or so to start wearing through the clear coat with a PC :thumbsup:

Bill

Thanks C6Bill, I understand your concern having to polish that often. I may be able to go longer, but it depends. I use the vette as my daily driver in the summer months and I work in a warehouse. There are literally hundreds of trucks that drive past my car daily and with that a fair amount of dust and debris that ends up neatly coating the car. As careful as I am invariably I pick up a few minor scratches here and there. After a period of time it accumulates til I get to a point where I would like to polish them out. I am guessing maybe a month or so would be the time span. Up until last summer my only recourse was to use revive polish and buttery wax, which did pretty good. The machine however will be able to do a better job in correcting the defects. Thanks for your reply.

Thanks C6Bill, I understand your concern having to polish that often. I may be able to go longer, but it depends. I use the vette as my daily driver in the summer months and I work in a warehouse. There are literally hundreds of trucks that drive past my car daily and with that a fair amount of dust and debris that ends up neatly coating the car. As careful as I am invariably I pick up a few minor scratches here and there. After a period of time it accumulates til I get to a point where I would like to polish them out. I am guessing maybe a month or so would be the time span. Up until last summer my only recourse was to use revive polish and buttery wax, which did pretty good. The machine however will be able to do a better job in correcting the defects. Thanks for your reply.

That sure would cause more dust than most. I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions and blamed your technique, sorry about that :hi:Have you considered using a foam gun ? Ask the Junkman for his video on using one. It might be a good option for you :rockon::rockon::rockon:

Yes while I don't have one yet, it's on my list. Though sometimes I will just use a California duster and go over the car. I have found that in general it works pretty good, but if your anal about those tiny scratches, you can not avoid getting them with the duster. Certainly not too bad, but they do accumulate. I've tried a blower to blow the dust off with little success. The best way is to flood water over the car and wash it, but that does take time and isn't practical to do everyday. The way it is now I think most of my neighbors think I'm nuts always tinkering around with the car.

Thats whats nice with the :pc:you just can't wreck the paint unless you use sand paper on it :willy:

Now that will wreck any paint!! :willy: :willy: :willy:

I used to have a neighbor and anytime he saw me washing or waxing my car he yell over; " you're going to take the paint right off, you're washing to too much".....

His cars are all POS!! :willy:

I used to have a neighbor and anytime he saw me washing or waxing my car he yell over; " you're going to take the paint right off, you're washing to too much".....

His cars are all POS!! :willy:

You always hear that from people driving rust buckets :lolsmack::lolsmack::lolsmack:

My Princess says the exact same thing !!! :help:

But she does love riding in the car after I've done my thing !!! ;)

Val

You always hear that from people driving rust buckets :lolsmack::lolsmack::lolsmack:

haha omg!my neighbor says that to me all the time but yet all his cars have no paint on them!!:lolsmack:all his cars are faded...guess he should of washed them then the the paint would STAY ON!!!:loser::loser: