Customer Service 866.965.0400

Looking to start a mobile detailing operation. My head is spinning!

rm25x

Ok guys, so I have been researching starting a mobile detailing business for months now. I plan to only offer hand washes, interior details and one steps.

I have read every thread on this forum, detailing bliss, and the autopia forum I could find in regards to mobile detailing.

The thing I am confused with, is how much stuff do I actually need? I know for washing it's best to use the 2 bucket method with grit guards. I have read some about the foam cannons. Can you foam a car without using a pressure washer? My thought is that if I am advertising a hand wash, and show up with a pressure washer they will feel as if they could have done the same thing at the local coin wash.

I guess what I am asking is if you had to start over today, with not a lot of money, and running it out of your car what would you purchase?

I plan to detail only when I have power and water hookups available. I do have a Honda 1000 watt generator, but would rather not have to use it. I am not sure if it would run anything other then lights anyways for me.

Thanks in advance for any help.

There are hose based foam guns. Search amazon for the Gilmour Foam Master.

So basically you're looking to do only basic wash n' wax type jobs? No paint correction. Thats fine, the pressure washer is going to speed things up for you for sure and in a business like this turnover is the key - The faster and more effectively you can get thru a job the better.

I wouldn't worry about the perception of 'coin op' if they're paying you to do it they're paying for your time/expertise. What you're saying the same as implying if people see the chef cooking with pots and pans at a restaurant they'll leave and do it at home b/c they already own pots and pans.

Other things that many people who decide to make a job out of detailing don't consider -

Make sure you carry proper insurance, have a business license, and all the proper documentation for your business.

Too many people jump in and do stuff like this as an under the table gig, problem is you are going to be stepping onto other peoples property, working on their cars that can be worth anything from $5,000 to $200,000 or more.

Sure you're only washing and drying, cleaning interiors, but what happens if you accidentally damage something? What if the owner comes out of his house and slips/falls on wet concrete? What happens if the local city gets wind of you operating a business without the proper license and documentation?

Its not worth putting yourself in financial jeopardy for big $$$ to make $50. Do it legit or don't do it at all IMO.

Other things that many people who decide to make a job out of detailing don't consider -

Make sure you carry proper insurance, have a business license, and all the proper documentation for your business.

Too many people jump in and do stuff like this as an under the table gig, problem is you are going to be stepping onto other peoples property, working on their cars that can be worth anything from $5,000 to $200,000 or more.

Sure you're only washing and drying, cleaning interiors, but what happens if you accidentally damage something? What if the owner comes out of his house and slips/falls on wet concrete? What happens if the local city gets wind of you operating a business without the proper license and documentation?

Its not worth putting yourself in financial jeopardy for big $$$ to make $50. Do it legit or don't do it at all IMO.

Ya my insurance is up to $1,000,00 and only cost my $32 a month.That covers if I damage the car or crash it and all so covers all my tools and supplies. I did my website at ipage was pretty cheap and easy.

Todd:thumbsup:

Ya my insurance is up to $1,000,00 and only cost my $32 a month.That covers if I damage the car or crash it and all so covers all my tools and supplies. I did my website at ipage was pretty cheap and easy.

Todd:thumbsup:

Ya my business is out of my house and my insurance is through State Farm.