Customer Service 866.965.0400

Time For A Change

RStangsOC

Hey there,

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comP><P><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=3>Short history first – the vast majority of my adult life was spent in Information Technology (IT). I got into IT in January of 1980 working for a small company called Smith International (a division of theirs called Servco). That was the beginning of what turned out to be a 23 year career – which ended in December 2003 with being laid off from WellPoint Health Networks (the then parent company of Blue Cross) where I ran one of the data centers for 10 years. After being laid off from WP, I was never able to find a position back in IT. I kept on hearing that I was WAY over qualified for the position. Having a need to provide for my wife and children, I tried my hand at Real Estate – got my <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns =<st1:place w:st="on">California</st1:place></st1:State> RE License and went to work for a large So Cal broker – probably at the worst time possible (2004). Needing SOME income, I ended up working for a local Ford dealership (mainly because I love cars, and the provided a guaranteed income for a short period of time). I worked there for almost exactly one year – in sales, parts and lastly as a Service Advisor. While working at the Ford dealership, I used to take dealership cars (Ford GT, Shelby’s, modified Mustang’s, etc) to local car shows. Its there that I met the owner of Stillen – where I ultimately ended up.

<o:p></o:p>

Well, I have been with Stillen for about 15 months now. I guess MAYBE I came into the automotive high performance industry at the wrong time. While I had a couple of reasonable months, all in all I was not able to provide for my family like I should be. About 6 or so months ago I realized that if I was ever going to have the income I needed to, I would need to move out on my own. I began taking classes online – studying until late at night and on the weekends. Geez, I thought all that was over when I got my degree in Business Management – boy was I wrong :) About a month ago, I took all of my tests to get my Property & Casualty, Life and Health Insurance licenses – and passed them all on the first shot (AMAZING).

Starting on Monday – Jan 26<SUP>th</SUP> – I will be running my own business – a Farmers Insurance Agency. I will be selling Home, Auto, Life, Business and Workers Comp insurance – as well as some line of Health insurance. Hopefully by the middle of the year, I will also be ready to test for my Series 6 and Series 63 Securities licenses.

Wish me luck – and if you know of ANYONE in the <st1:place w:st="on">Southern California</st1:place> area that I can help with insurance – no matter what it may be for, send them my way. :)

Page<o:p></o:p>

Congratulations on your new venture and best of luck !!

I was in IT most of my career as well. For the record : If anyone ever tells you you are "Over Qualified", in a most friendly manner, get them to put that in writing.. If they are stupid enough to grant that request,, turn around and sue them for discrimination ! There is NO Such Thing as OVER Qualified when appling for a job. They will have admitted that you have the minimum qualifications and should have been considered for the position...

I know, it sounds overly litigious,, but the support of your family HAS Got to come before all other feelings...

Again, all the best ! Knock um dead !!! :2thumbs:

Val

Congratulations on your new venture and best of luck !!

I was in IT most of my career as well. For the record : If anyone ever tells you you are "Over Qualified", in a most friendly manner, get them to put that in writing.. If they are stupid enough to grant that request,, turn around and sue them for discrimination ! There is NO Such Thing as OVER Qualified when appling for a job. They will have admitted that you have the minimum qualifications and should have been considered for the position...

I know, it sounds overly litigious,, but the support of your family HAS Got to come before all other feelings...

Again, all the best ! Knock um dead !!! :2thumbs:

Val

Thanks much :) Well, starting full time tomorrow - my own Farmers Agency :) Onward and Upward :)

Page

Best of luck! I, too, was in IT until I made the partial switch to HR application support. It was a change in the right direction, and Im much happier b/c of it.

That being said, I spend my free time trying to figure out how to support my lifestyle detailing cars...I just cant convince myself of how to do it...

Anyway, it takes cajones to be in your shoes. Knock 'em dead.