Customer Service 866.965.0400

Any way to increase dwell time on APC?

Kody

Question

Hey guys,

I've noticed this lately and it's really starting to become a problem at times. My APC seems to dry out really fast! I usually spray down two tires at a time to let everything get a good soak, but it seems like now by the time I finish spraying down the second tire the first one has already dried up, and this is just in a matter of maybe a minute to a minute and a half however long it takes to spray a wheel and tire down lol, and yes the surface will be cool to the touch, and working in the shade. Is this normal? and if so is there anyway to increase dwell time?

Thanks

Kody

Have you tried a foaming sprayer? They use a little more product, but the foam allows it to stay on the surface longer.

I only do one tire at a time, but do the whole thing - APC on the tire, then clean the wheel well, then the tire, then the wheel. I am afraid of the APC getting on the wheel and drying out.

Sorry forgot to mention that. Yes this is with the foam sprayer.

On my boss I generally have to use.... well it's not Adams DWC but it is very similar just green... due to extreme brake dust and matte finished wheels, so I have to let that dwell for a few minutes, thus the reason behind doing two wheels at a time.

Guest Gone & Forgotten

Is apc Solvent based? Add heat = evaporation.

Most solvents evaporate faster

Nah.. It's water based but has solvents or cleaning agents in it that increase its evaporation time.

Ahhhh. Delete this post.

All I do is add to the mayhem.

But how is it that APC has such a short dwell time?

Definitely the first time I've heard this issue.

I can spray all 4 of my wheels and its still wet by the time I get around to all of them and thats in the thin/dry air of Colorado where everything dries out FAST.

Are you rinsing the tires first?

Yeah, but FL is like living on the sun sometimes. Was the car cool and wheels at ambient temps? The only time I have this issue is if I come home and clean the car right away.

Definitely the first time I've heard this issue.

I can spray all 4 of my wheels and its still wet by the time I get around to all of them and thats in the thin/dry air of Colorado where everything dries out FAST.

Are you rinsing the tires first?

That's what I'm saying lol! But I can't hardly get enough dwell out it to get two let alone four! And no I spray it on with no rinse. On my boss the "very similar to DWC except green cleaner" I use calls to be put on a dry wheel so I just put both products on dry. I still can't see that causing it to dry that fast though?

Yeah, but FL is like living on the sun sometimes. Was the car cool and wheels at ambient temps? The only time I have this issue is if I come home and clean the car right away.

I thought this at first when it happened in the summer time, but it happened to me the last two times I've washed anything and it's been in the upper 70's with a slight breeze, and the car was not driven at all either time.

And this is a fresh gallon of APC too, I've only had a few months. This is getting frustrating especially with the foaming sprayer cuz I usually have to give another good spray down before doing anything cuz the products dried up so it seems to be very wasteful.

Edited by Kody

So you wet the wheels and then hit it with APC and when you get around it's dried?

Try doing 2 wheels at a time. I know that's a "DUH" comment, but...

No I don't rinse my wheels or tires first. My wheel cleaner has to go on dry, so I spray the wheels down then spray a very heavy helping of APC on the dry tire. Then I move to the next tire and just do the same process as the previous. Then move back to the first wheel and tire and brush everything down, but as of late I've noticed the APC is mostly dried up by the time I'm done spraying the second wheel down.

And lol! But that's what I've done and I'm still having the same problem with just doing two wheels/tires.

So you're using a wheel cleaner that doesn't want the wheel wet first? Hmmm... I think that is where the issue is.

Yeah, It's like Adam's DWC but it's green and has a S and a X in the name. And I guess it could be but with as much APC I use I'd think it still have a much longer dwell time.

We recommend the tires be rinsed first for the APC use Kody. Odds are between the contamination and dry rubber thats where you're seeing an issue with dwell time.

Clean wheels first with your preferred wheel cleaner (dry) per the recommendations.

Then go back and rinse the wheels off, soaking the tires at the same time, and do your APC routine on the rubber.

That's looking like my only choice, I was hoping I'd be able to knock two birds out with one stone but what can you do?

Buy Adams GWC... :thumbsup:

Edited by Chewy

And not to change the subject, but has anybody done any sort of comparison of, the very similar to Adam's DWC only green with a S and a X in the name lol vs Adam's DWC? I'm curious cuz the DWC is a just a little bit cheaper.

And not to change the subject, but has anybody done any sort of comparison of, the very similar to Adam's DWC only green with a S and a X in the name lol vs Adam's DWC? I'm curious cuz the DWC is a just a little bit cheaper.

Adams did a LOT of testing between the two... I know you want end user experiences and I know there are some that can chime in. Thankfully I held off until Adams came out with one. :D

Buy Adams GWC or Deep Wheel Cleaner... :thumbsup:

I'm tempted to try the DWC, but with as bad as my boss is with brake dust and especially now with the matte wheels I don't want to venture to far from a product I know works 100%. Nothing against Adam's but when something works it works.

Adams did a LOT of testing between the two... I know you want end user experiences and I know there are some that can chime in. Thankfully I held off until Adams came out with one. :D

I just bought three new bottles of S###x so I won't be needing any wheel cleaner for a little bit, but I might just get a bottle of DWC to try. I like that you get bigger bottles with DWC vs S###x, and the price seems to be just right.

I'm tempted to try the DWC, but with as bad as my boss is with brake dust and especially now with the matte wheels I don't want to venture to far from a product I know works 100%. Nothing against Adam's but when something works it works.

110% guarantee!!! Don't forget that. Plus I saw the results from beta testing this stuff (still waiting on my gallon) and it DOES work. X was the biggest competitor to compare it to. One thing you'll learn about Adams is they won't bring something to market unless it is equal to or better than the competition, and as safe as possible to use. It's one of the main reasons I LOVE Adams. That, and that they're good people making a great product with a great guarantee!

Chris

But the Adam's Deep Wheel Cleaner says not to rinse first either. :confused:

Correct. Any cleaner in this category is going to work better when sprayed on dry. :thumbsup:

That's looking like my only choice, I was hoping I'd be able to knock two birds out with one stone but what can you do?

Just as its recommended NOT to rinse for DWC, it is recommended to rinse for APC. You can't really pick and choose when you're going to follow the directions to suit your needs, then complain when it doesn't work.

This is a kin to complaining about DWC not cleaning well if you do rinsing first b/c its required for APC. Just depends on what product you're allowing to "take lead" in your process.

In the end sometimes you have to adjust your process to the products and type of cleaning you're doing, as they're not going to adjust to you.

I have both, though I haven't really used either enough to make a definitive judgement. Normally with my wheels I can get away with just Green Wheel Cleaner. But back to the question, with the little bit that I have used them, the Adam's seemed to do a better job. When I use up my Sonax I probably won't get another bottle, but I would get a refill for the Deep Wheel Cleaner when I need it. The fact that it costs less is just a bonus.

But the Adam's Deep Wheel Cleaner says not to rinse first either. :confused:

That's what I get for posting before my gallon is in my hand. I waited to order so that I could get a gallon. That and it was freezing outside. lol

I can't see using DWC every time I wash my vehicle, but some may find it necessary. I seldom use wheel cleaner at all actually. :o I bought DWC more for the paint than anything. HUGE white truck + winter = rail dust spots. :(