Customer Service 866.965.0400

Wheel help, maintaining matte black wheels

j-r35

Question

I just picked up some matte black rims and wanted some input on how to maintain them.  They're volk g2 rims.  Would i use vrt on them to keep brake dust off?  I'd use the quick sealant but not sure how to get it to me since i'm in Alaska.  Also should i use Revive paint on them every once and awhile?  Here's a quick pic of what that look like.  Assuming i should be safe w/the deep wheel cleaner as well?

IMG_1301_zps295cca3c.jpg

I also just used the new dwc on my stock rims and got these stains on one rim.  Any clue how to remove them?

IMG_1313_zps2fca315f.jpg

IMG_1312_zps461ac7e8.jpg

15 answers to this question

Try some revive or FMP for the stains. Sucks u cant get quick sealant. Experiment with the vrt and see what happens. If not u may need to venture out of adams for a matte sealer. Also dwc is safe for these wheels.

Edited by Ralfy

I'll try and call them sometime to see if they can ship some up, just know on the site it says they can't ship to Ak.  So do i just use a microfiber cloth w/the fine machine polish? I got one of the hex pads for the revive.  Might try that first.  I let the car sit for about 1hr before i started the wash process.  Was that not long enough for the wheels to cool down?  It only happened to one wheel which is odd.  All the other rims are fine.  

I use fmp on the focus pads or revie blue hex grip. Sometimes ill use the white focus pad in my hand like a boss haha maybe the wheel was exposed to sunlight or the dwc sat to long?

Edited by Ralfy

I'll try and call them sometime to see if they can ship some up, just know on the site it says they can't ship to Ak. So do i just use a microfiber cloth w/the fine machine polish? I got one of the hex pads for the revive. Might try that first. I let the car sit for about 1hr before i started the wash process. Was that not long enough for the wheels to cool down? It only happened to one wheel which is odd. All the other rims are fine.

Interesting. Is there any chance you let it dry in those spots? Your not the first to report this on powdercoated materials but the others let the product dry.

yes I let them dry say 1-2 minutes max as i washed each wheel individually.  just seemed odd that only one whee had the staining.  i've done my wifes toureg and finished the bottle off on the exact same rims again yet no staining.  just the first initial use caused the stain on the one rim.

Bump, going to try and fix the stained wheel tomorrow.  

So wanted to make sure and just try the vrt on the wheels.  Will it make it greasy/glossy?  Also, do i need to apply Revive on them at all or just stick w/the vrt?  

I used revive on my sisters audi wheels. Powder coated matte black factory. Soft as all hell. Then topped it with quick sealant. Put some vrt on it and see what happens. Will probably enhance the matte look of it

Without question, the best thing I have ever used on Matte Black wheels is... Adam's Detail Spray.

It gives them a nice dark black look without streaking. Unless the wheels are REALLY dirty, I would use ONLY detail spray.

Use one microfiber (or as many as you need) to remove brake dust (you simply cannot get them perfect if you try to use the same microfiber start to finish, in my experience) and come back with a fresh microfiber and detail spray to make 'em pretty.

I'd try a little Buttery Wax on the slightly stained area; I tend to start with something mild and this stuff can "fix" minor problems.

Did my entire Gtr on Thursday. Did vrt and it definitely made them look a lot better not greasy at all. Going with that setup for now until I can see if I can get quick sealant shipped up. So as far as revive goes, how often should I use it? I bought a bottle awhile back just not sure when I should slap it on the wheels.

Bump w/another quick question.  Anyone recommend to waxing matte black wheels and which one would you use, americana or buttery?  Read around and some folks say to clay and wax your wheels once and awhile.  As another member mentioned that i may need to venture out for a matte sealer.  So has anyone on the board us cg meticulous matte detailer?  Just curious to know.  

Also w/light dusting, can i get away w/just hitting it w/detailer spray and wiping them down as wheelmaker mentioned?  Thanks guys.

Bump w/another quick question.  Anyone recommend to waxing matte black wheels and which one would you use, americana or buttery?  Read around and some folks say to clay and wax your wheels once and awhile.  As another member mentioned that i may need to venture out for a matte sealer.  So has anyone on the board us cg meticulous matte detailer?  Just curious to know.  

Also w/light dusting, can i get away w/just hitting it w/detailer spray and wiping them down as wheelmaker mentioned?  Thanks guys.

Honestly with light dusting i'd use Green Wheel Cleaner to be safe.

Did my entire Gtr on Thursday. Did vrt and it definitely made them look a lot better not greasy at all. Going with that setup for now until I can see if I can get quick sealant shipped up. So as far as revive goes, how often should I use it? I bought a bottle awhile back just not sure when I should slap it on the wheels.

I'm not sure why no one has mentioned this yet, but don't use Revive on your matte black wheels. Revive is a polish and you shouldn't use a polish on any matte paint. If you're rubbing that on there, you could create a shiny spot on your rims.

^Thanks, wasn't 100% sure so had to ask about the revive since i know you use them on painted wheels.  Mine looked exactly like the pics above, but after a day of driving, man these pads produce alot of dust, haha.  Plus roads are still a tad bit dusty.  Going to stick w/my vrt routine for now then.