Customer Service 866.965.0400

New Side Business Help

Performance Auto Detailing

Question

I'm wanting to start a little side business doing some light detailing. I don't want to get in to paint corrections at this time. I don't own a polisher yet and want to try to start making some money before investing in one. I just need some help and advice. I was planning on doing something along the lines of a Hand Wash Package, Wash & Wax Package, and an Interior Detail Package. Interior detailing I'm very confident with and don't really have any questions as I've got a good amount of experience with it. 

The Hand Wash Package I was planning on doing:

Hand Wash

Wheels, Tires, Wheel wells

Hand Dry

Door Jambs

Super VRT for tires/exterior plastics

For the Wash & Wax:

Everything from above plus..

Claying (Is clay necessary if I'm going to wax the vehicle? If I'm not polishing the car is it an issue that I'm claying the car? What are the odds of me causing damage from claying?)

Buttery or Americana (Should I have Americana as an upgrade?)

Brilliant Glaze(Should this be an upgrade or just include it?)

For the Interior:

Full vacuum

Light floor mat stain removal

Complete Interior Wipe Down

Leather Cleaned & Conditioned 

Interior treated with Total Interior Detailer

Windows/Mirrors Cleaned

I was also planning on charging extra for extra dirty vehicles or ones with a lot of pet hair. 

I don't really have a set amount in mind for what I should charge for these services as I've only done friends and family's vehicles so far. So if anyone has some advice that would be great. And if anyone has suggestions for what I should do differently that would be great as well. 

This is the facebook page I'm working on. Don't have a logo yet but here's 3 of the cars I've done. I went a little insane on pictures and won't be that detailed going forward probably. 

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Performance-Auto-Detailing/381914668585571?sk=page_insights_talking

12 answers to this question

Personally, I'd switch out the carnuba wax with the easy to apply, long lasting QS.

Clay should NEVER "damage" paint, but it can impart some scratches into it, especially if you're not careful and kneading the clay often enough. 

I'd do a base price for each service with a note stating that it may be more due to excessive dirt or pet hair removal.  

Always remember, word of mouth is your best marketing tool.  ALWAYS under promise and over deliver! 

this is where i started at and my word of mouth has gotten me more customers now than i did before. here is my FB page. 

I started slow and just finally got my business cards but you look in the about section you see my packages i have. 

https://www.facebook.com/DetailingNinja

looks really good. do you not have set prices? do you quote your price to each individual customer or how do yo do it

Personally, I'd switch out the carnuba wax with the easy to apply, long lasting QS.

Clay should NEVER "damage" paint, but it can impart some scratches into it, especially if you're not careful and kneading the clay often enough. 

I'd do a base price for each service with a note stating that it may be more due to excessive dirt or pet hair removal.  

Always remember, word of mouth is your best marketing tool.  ALWAYS under promise and over deliver!

That last sentence could not be said any better.

If you are doing interiors, then I would recommend a steam cleaner. $100 and it speeds things up like crazy and makes cleaning easier...use it around the house too... :2thumbs:

looks really good. do you not have set prices? do you quote your price to each individual customer or how do yo do it

I did have set prices on the FB page but it seems to push ppl away seeing the prices so when someone ask me i first ask what type of car and etc. than give them a price. Usually i do $50 for a basic wash than $100 for clay and wax than $150 for clay and sealant and wax. 

I did have set prices on the FB page but it seems to push ppl away seeing the prices so when someone ask me i first ask what type of car and etc. than give them a price. Usually i do $50 for a basic wash than $100 for clay and wax than $150 for clay and sealant and wax. 

That's around the range I was looking at. What do you charge for an interior? I was thinking like $50 and then an extra charge if it's pretty bad. 

And I guess it would make a difference in price whether I'm dealing with a Suburban or a Camry.. 

Hourly rate > flat fee

Every car is different in size and condition. $50 for an already decent Ford Focus interior is great, but $50 for a trashed Excursion is not. And saying "add x amount extra for large vehicles" is subjective.

Hourly rate, time required depends on size and condition. Covers all the bases.