Customer Service 866.965.0400

Detailing Pricing, Charging too much?

Kingsford

Question

I was asked to detail a Jeep Cherokee, I gave her a few options...

Wash, Clay & Wax - $75

Wash, Clay, Buff & Wax - $300

Interior - $50-75 (depending on condition)

She didn't like the prices very much and got in a huge argument with me and said she'd shop around for a lower price. I kind of chuckled and said "Cheapest isn't always the best, especially with cars" and left it at that.

I know a place in our town that charges in the, same order as above, $125, $500 and $75.

Am I charging way to much or is she just tight with money? I feel like I am cheap from Labor, Product Cost and what not...

What do you guys charge?

22 answers to this question

i honestly don't think that's bad at all, especially for a SUV.  I detailed a new F-250 recently for a friend of a friend and i did not charge him but he ended up giving me $100 for a wash, clay & wax.  (also cleaned the windows, VRT on trim and tires, wiped down door jams) 

She obviously doesn't know how we, detailing enthusiasts, do what it takes for ourselves to be satisfied with our work because a lot of us are very nit-picky to make sure that we cover as much as possible to our best ability.  They just don't understand...

Edited by billabongbum

I'll charge by the hour when I do this for a living...but this is what I charge now. When I subtract product, I work for about $5 an hour.  I have no doubt, when I'm finished, they could win trophies if they wanted too. Not tooting my horn, but there is no way the shops around here do what I do on a detail.  Most average a solid 2 days.  My QC check alone takes me 4 hours.

*Wash & Wax - $25

2 Bucket Wash

Dry

Tires Cleaned/Dressed

Wheels Cleaned/Sealed

Wheel Wells Cleaned/Dressed

Exterior Trim Cleaned/Dressed

Wax

**Interior Detail - $75

Vacuum

Shampoo Carpets

Plastic Cleaned/Dressed

Leather Cleaned/Dressed

Headliner Wiped Down

Trunk Vacuumed/Dressed

Seals Cleaned/Dressed

Windows Cleaned

***Exterior Detail -  $200

*Wash & Wax

Polish Exhaust

Door Jambs Cleaned

Clar Bar

Iron Decontamination

Correct/Polish Paint

Wax

Full Detail - $250

*Wash & Wax

**Interior Detail

*** Exterior Detail

Polish Exhaust (If Possible)

Door Jambs Cleaned

Clay Bar Paint

Iron Decontamination

Correct/Polish Paint

Wax

Ala Carte

Paint Sealant (Approx. 3 Month Protection +$20)

Glaze (Added Shine, Fills in Slight Imperfections +$10)

Glass Sealant (Easier Bug Removal, Water Sheeting +$10)

Engine Clean & Dressed (Requires signed approval +$40)

Headlight Restoration (Remove Haze/Scratches +$25)

Nothing fancy, I put this together in a few minutes, so I'm sure it needs some updating.

Looks like a good pricing base, but the only fair way is to charger by the hour.  make a spreadsheet for time to take to clean, light dirty interior 25, medium 50, heavy 75.  same for wash and paint correction.  customers will learn that cleaning up a little before taking it to you will pay off.

When looking for business, flat rates are great, but it sucks when a truck pulls straight out of a 4' mud hole and into your driveway!

-Carl

Dave you do it different than me... Most people I deal with have no idea what Glaze or Sealant is. I just throw that stuff in to different parts.

Carl that is my price by the hour and with product worked in. I base Wash Clay and Wax on 3-4 hours. 1-2 for Interior and awhile for buffing depending on what kind of vehicle. SUV's I usually highball.

Edited by Kingsford

I'll charge by the hour when I do this for a living...but this is what I charge now. When I subtract product, I work for about $5 an hour. I have no doubt, when I'm finished, they could win trophies if they wanted too. Not tooting my horn, but there is no way the shops around here do what I do on a detail. Most average a solid 2 days. My QC check alone takes me 4 hours.

*Wash & Wax - $25

2 Bucket Wash

Dry

Tires Cleaned/Dressed

Wheels Cleaned/Sealed

Wheel Wells Cleaned/Dressed

Exterior Trim Cleaned/Dressed

Wax

**Interior Detail - $75

Vacuum

Shampoo Carpets

Plastic Cleaned/Dressed

Leather Cleaned/Dressed

Headliner Wiped Down

Trunk Vacuumed/Dressed

Seals Cleaned/Dressed

Windows Cleaned

***Exterior Detail - $200

*Wash & Wax

Polish Exhaust

Door Jambs Cleaned

Clar Bar

Iron Decontamination

Correct/Polish Paint

Wax

Full Detail - $250

*Wash & Wax

**Interior Detail

*** Exterior Detail

Polish Exhaust (If Possible)

Door Jambs Cleaned

Clay Bar Paint

Iron Decontamination

Correct/Polish Paint

Wax

Ala Carte

Paint Sealant (Approx. 3 Month Protection +$20)

Glaze (Added Shine, Fills in Slight Imperfections +$10)

Glass Sealant (Easier Bug Removal, Water Sheeting +$10)

Engine Clean & Dressed (Requires signed approval +$40)

Headlight Restoration (Remove Haze/Scratches +$25)

Nothing fancy, I put this together in a few minutes, so I'm sure it needs some updating.

Whoa! Dave your giving it away buddy. $5 per hour is insane!! You must love it ;)

Jason...I forgot, I do have a disclaimer that I put at the top of the word doc that says $50 extra for SUV's and larger vehicles.  Also, the way I break down the wax's vs. sealants is break it down for them.

Do you want it to last 3-4 months or 6-8 weeks :)  They usually go with the sealant, haha.  There have been a few guys that are well versed in detailing, but don't have the polishing skill....they know what they want.

Chase, it's all fun for me (at this point in my life), bwahahaha.  Trust me, I do realize that in a few years if I still have the passion, and it's required to pay bills and put food on the table, I do things right.  You got to realize, I'm dealing with mainly military members....luckily I consider myself the detailer to the high ranking officers, they have been known o throw a little extra my way, haha.

The last detail I did (still have to do the write-up), easily was a $800-$1K job....I wetsended half the vehicle, and did things I should have charged extra for.  When I crank up the music and that polisher is buzzing.....I'm in another place.  I'm sure we can all relate. 

Chase, it's all fun for me (at this point in my life), bwahahaha. Trust me, I do realize that in a few years if I still have the passion, and it's required to pay bills and put food on the table, I do things right. You got to realize, I'm dealing with mainly military members....luckily I consider myself the detailer to the high ranking officers, they have been known o throw a little extra my way, haha.

The last detail I did (still have to do the write-up), easily was a $800-$1K job....I wetsended half the vehicle, and did things I should have charged extra for. When I crank up the music and that polisher is buzzing.....I'm in another place. I'm sure we can all relate.

Hey don't let me stop you, in fact if I lived closer I'd hire you to do my DD lol...

Seems like fair pricing to me. Most customer dont think about the cost of product we spend and the price of our time. I always tell myself I wont detail for less per hour than my day job. So I always make sure to make money. I always figure my prices wont be for some people and some people wont mind because of the detailed work that I do.

Sounds like a customer i would prefer to stay away from. Some will be cheap and still nit pick about what type of results they get and cause you nothing but headaches in the end. Your pricing sounds more than fair, move on to the next person who understands that they get what they pay for.

Since every vehicle and its condition is different, I don't have set prices for specific services. I charge $50 an hour, and tell the customer what I can do and how long it will take by simply pointing out things on their car. This way they can decide what they want done, so ultimately the total cost is on them and not me.

One thing is important, do not undervalue your time. Once you do it cheap for someone, they (and anyone they tell) will expect it cheap and you won't be happy with that. Be firm, and make sure your own car is sparkling when they come by so they can see an example of your capabilities.

Pricing sounds perfectly fair to me... the thing is that most customers who balk at pricing like this assume the $50 "DETAIL" they get at the local car wash is the same thing as what you're providing. There is a lot of general ignorance as to what goes into an actual detail. Anytime someone complains about the prices we charge at the warehouse or what I charge for my time I do my best to educate them on the process - at that point they'll either understand the pricing is justified or they'll at least know why the guy down the street is 1/3rd the price. 

You can't stress too much about losing a few people over pricing... cheap details ain't good, and good details ain't cheap! 

Respect your labor, respect your time. If you won't neither will your customers so charge a rate that makes it worth your time. 

Dylan says a LOT of smart things above.  So do the other gentlemen.  This is a huge can of worms to open about pricing, especially when geographics are involved.  But I'll give my two QUICK cents.  To the OP, the only pricing I think is fair of your three options is the interior one.  The others.....are still too LOW in my opinion, by FAR.

The things that I've realized in my short time (4 months) of doing this for a living, are:

1) I'm okay if I don't get ALL the business, especially from people like that.  Because they're never going to appreciate my level of OCD & care anyway, so screw them.  They're better off going to the "local car wash."  You have to be okay with letting some people walk.  Especially when they clearly don't understand the difference in the quality of work.

2) Rich clients aren't always the best clients.  They talk a big game, don't back it up, and are nearly impossible to communicate with, because they're so "busy."  I've had  MUCH better success in networking with other passionate car guys the understand the love, rather than idiots with money.

3) Most automotive "craftsmen" (mechanics, fabricators, etc.) work for $60-$100/hr labor.  And that doesn't even include parts!!  So that being said.....what do you think your time is WORTH?

4) Have enough pride to stand behind your work & your pricing.  And know how word it, professionally & cordially, when somebody challenges that.  Sometimes people just need you to explain WHY you're so much better than the shop down the road.  If they still don't agree, then see #1.

Hope this helps.  Best of luck.  Keep ya chin up.  Happy detailing! :)

Edited by Chase@Adams

Chase, it's all fun for me (at this point in my life), bwahahaha.  Trust me, I do realize that in a few years if I still have the passion, and it's required to pay bills and put food on the table, I do things right.  You got to realize, I'm dealing with mainly military members....luckily I consider myself the detailer to the high ranking officers, they have been known o throw a little extra my way, haha.

Military folks is how I got started. I try and keep my prices low for them and make sure they're taken care of. There's a lot of deployment money into some of these guys cars and they like to take care of them. But as soon as the question is asked, "How much to do my wife's minivan?" I adjust my prices as needed. I can do up an interior like no other but I don' enjoy doing them so My price will sky rocket when I get a nasty one and the customer either will walk away or take it.

I'm like you Dave, I don't ask much for most of my details but folks are always willing to throw in a little extra.

In then end it's all what your time is worth and what you want to get out of it.

All great advice in this thread! I will throw in what I have learned doing this as a side gig for 4 years. Cheap prices bring cheap people. I was very cheap (price wise) for a long time and kept decently busy, but as my knowledge base of detailing expanded I became very comfortable asking a higher rate for the quality of work I was capable of.

As my pricing went up I noticed a trend, my customer base grew, I picked up higher end vehicles, and had many customers that had a passion for their vehicle rather than just wanting a quick wash and vac. While I am not opposed to the quick clean up..... we all know the money is in polishing and wax with the high quality products we use. While I think your prices are on point to keep busy and make some money, the geographic location plays a large role in this.

My favorite thing to tell my customers is; "You can do it right, or do it twice". Most seem to agree and are willing to give you a shot once you have earned their trust by showing them you are knowledgeable about products and process. Take the time to educate the customer, but don't bore them or talk over their head. Some have no clue what a decon wash is, or the names of the different polishes. Just put an emphasis on the quality of products/service you offer and if they are more interested then fill them in wit the small details!

Good luck and I wish you well. OH, SOME customers you are better off without ;)

Edited by LowNslo

like other have said, people will always walk.  No matter how cheap your prices are someone will always think its too much, I promise you this.  I told a guy I would wet sand his entire car (old beater, his request) and make it perfect for $200, he is a family members close friend, he said maybe $100, I told him I politely decline and walked away from that.  I cant tell you how many people I have had to turn away because the work just would not be prudent with the amount they think should be paid.  You wait for the right client to come to you, cant take it personal and only thing you can do is to leave that person with a good image of yourself and not come off as a d!ck.  I have found the biggest thing is let your work speak for itself, I do not do much marketing but have almost exclusively high end clientele (ferrari/lambo/porsche) and if you do good work, they will come, and pay :D.  Stay strong brother and stay with your prices, for a side guy those are just great for the work you will be doing, don't second-guess yourself.

I get the same thing people give me a wierd look when I say my price. And I tell them I have to pay for the great products I use and pay for my time spent. My work ( GM) is stealing customers from other places cuz of our " introductory pricing" since the detailing department is still new. $85 for interior shampoo and clean. We even blow out all the dirt from in little crevices so there's no dirt left.. This needs to be a $250 detail. Soon enough our prices will jump! We just wanted to get people hooked. If they can't see past the price to get great results. They need to go and get the bad results from another place first