Customer Service 866.965.0400

Removing adhesive from window tint

Garsnow

Question

I have some very sticky tape in my back window where the temporary plate was taped to the glass and it's the nastiest, strongest tape I have ever seen. Before I go at it with some chemicals, I want to make sure I'm not going to harm my window tint. Any ideas?

4 answers to this question

Try using goo gone!  It's citrus based so it may be kinder on the tint.  Once removed, clean THOROUGHLY with GC which is tint safe and makes glass POP! 

Do NOT use Goo Gone on tinted windows - you can damage them.  Goo Gone's manufacturer does not even recommend going near tint with that product.  The safest thing to do is spray Adam's Glass Cleaner on a short knap microfiber and gently rub until the adhesive is removed.  It might take longer, but there will be no adverse effects.

Yeah if it wasn't for tint being on the window, i use goo gone for anything like that as it eats through pretty much anything i've needed to take off. I would NOT let that stuff near window tint either. I think you're just going to have to keep trying to saturate it and just keep rubbing it till it all comes off. Good luck.

Try using a steam gun. This is how I take off window tint and the same way most professional shops do it too. You can pick up a pretty cheap one at walmart for about 25-35$. The hot steam will help loosen up whatever adhesive is stuck to the tint and should just roll off with your finger once it's lose.

Edited by frank20