Customer Service 866.965.0400

Detailing Business Insurance

Laguna

Your car is car is covered by collision or comprehensive coverage and your work, if covered, is covered by liability insurance.  What is covered under each is different. . 

Here is a decent article on garage keeper liability.  Notice they say nothing about covering the car for the work you are doing on it. 

http://www.detailking.com/insurance-for-auto-detailing-and-mobile-auto-detailing-businesses/

Third paragraph: "Most garage keeper’s liability packages cover the vehicle you are working on against damage and theft"

Edited by ksell87

Even if it's far off, start oragnizing now - you'll be on your feet that much quicker...take it from somebody who's started a detailing shop twice over. Insurance is easily the least exciting aspect of the professional detailing world, but at the same time it's also one of the most important. 

On another note - there HAS to be an Adam's forums member who works in the insurance industry that can chime in on this...might even get some business out of it.

Thanks for the heads up, Frank.  I agree with it being the most important.  I like to have all of my ducks in a row before jumping into something.  

Third paragraph: "Most garage keeper’s liability packages cover the vehicle you are working on against damage and theft"

But not from you damaging the car with your polisher. it is for damage from something unrelated to you working on the car.  A box falls out of the attic on it.  Your kid's friend come over and the friend poorly parks the bike near the car and it falls on it and damages it.  Get a policy and read it and you will see how narrow the coverage is. 

Your home is covered for 'damage' also, but it is not covered for flooding unless you buy a policy from the federal government through your agent.  It is not covered for earthquake unless you add a rider.  Your personal property is covered for some things, but not for dropping it, unless you add a rider and changed the coverage from replacement coast to actual cash value. 

Each policy has definition for the words in it and damage is a general term.  The policy will outline what damage.  Your contents are covered by a named perils policy and is only covered for the perils listed.  The house or dwelling is all perils coverage and is covered for everything except what is excluded.  A commercial policy excluded everything and adds coverage back in at a price.  

• 2 weeks later...

I hate all the BS that comes with dealing with insurance.  There are so many loop holes that get the insurance company out of paying for a claim.  I was thinking about doing some detailing on the side, but this is one of the reasons why I haven't made a go of it yet.