Customer Service 866.965.0400

Problem around tape?

DonJuan692006

Question

I restored the headlights on my girlfriends Ford Focus the other day and used the Adam's masking tape to surround the housing. I pilled the tape off when I got done and noticed there was a line but figured no biggy since the car was dirty and it was probably from the tape pulling the dirt off. I washed the car last night and clayed the hood, but noticed the lines are still there. It's the same on both sides. Any ideas?

post-10752-0-61321100-1376598099_thumb.jpg

Edited by DonJuan692006

5 answers to this question

Looks like an overspray pattern on the outside of the tape edge. What products did you use to do the headlights and is there a chance they got onto the paint?

Decon with APC, washed the whole hood off, clayed, wiped clean with detail spray, the alcohol wiped, sanded, and then polished with finishing polish and 4" white focus pad. Sealed with quick sealant and two coats of Americana. The only thing that might have been left on the paint was the sealant. The weird part is that the paint where the tape was looks better than where it wasn't...even after claying the rest of the hood. I did an APC/CS wash but I didn't use much APC so it could be unbuffed quick sealant maybe.

You'll probably need to clay and polish the hood... its very clearly overspray of some kid that changed the appearance of the paint where the tape wasn't... so in essence its not a problem from the tape, its a problem from whatever settled on the area north of the paint and wasn't removed. 

If the sealant wasn't wiped away and the paint hasn't been touched since its probably what it is. 

You'll probably need to clay and polish the hood... its very clearly overspray of some kid that changed the appearance of the paint where the tape wasn't... so in essence its not a problem from the tape, its a problem from whatever settled on the area north of the paint and wasn't removed.

If the sealant wasn't wiped away and the paint hasn't been touched since its probably what it is.

I've already clayed with no change so I'll try hitting that area with some polish. I guess I worded the subject wrong. It should have been "Problem around paint?"