Customer Service 866.965.0400

New Paint Question

DonJuan692006

Question

So I just got my Mustang back today from the body shop after having the majority repainted due to rock chips. I asked them not to wash it and gave it a wash when I got home. I had to wet sand two spots with 2000 grit because they were bumpy. I talked to the shop manager and he agreed that if I couldn't get them fixed I could bring it back so no buggy. Anyways, they did buff it out some but is the norm for a shop to do a complete polish? Either way I'm going to end up doing a full correction but was just curious.

post-10752-0-64568200-1379549175_thumb.jpg

5 answers to this question

It's nowhere NEAR the norm for a body shop to do a complete polish - their norm is to try and set a speed record with a wool pad on the end of an angle grinder.  Sometimes there are exceptions - I do occasional work for a body shop where they'll contact me to come in and refine their work on some nicer cars just so they get back to the cutomer looking as good as possible.  But situations like that are $3 bill rare.

Well I just walked back out and did another one over on their work. I found several more bumps in the clear. One spot that I found interesting looks like a bump but more from the paint bubbling before they applied the clear. You can't feel it running your finger over it and I could only see it in the fluorescent light...not with my LED bar or camera. Guess I'll be going back up to the shop tomorrow. Somewhat in their defense (a small somewhat), most of the spots are on the hood which they had to strip down to the metal and work back up. If they can't fix it then someone will be buying me a new hood.

Well...I called the shop and let them know about the spots I found. When I got home I decided to pop the hood and check out the bottom. I found two spots where it looked like they hit it with a side grinder and took the paint down to the metal. I showed the shop manager and we also found some spots where the paint looked like it was bubbling. He told me on the 2005-2012 Mustangs they used two pieces of metal welded together to make the hood and were having issues with corrosion forming and pushing the paint out. They're fixing all of it and replacing my vinyl side stripes and no charge to me.

Went to pick my baby up today and the vinyl stripes were misaligned between the door and front fender. They've already ordered a new set and offered to let me take it home and bring it back when they get them in. I told the manager to just keep it since I'm heading out of town this weekend. Where's the "banging my head on a desk" smiley when you need it.