Customer Service 866.965.0400

Polishing crackled clear?

03blackSSS

Question

I recently got a hold of a '98 outback. It's an extra vehicle/ gas saver, but is also black, with a copper metallic. Would be a beautiful color combo once treated. 

The previous owners I believe never waxed this car. I polished a couple spots to see how it would turn out, and I believe it would look great with the copper undertone popping out. The Main issue I have is the hood. 

The clear on the hood is looking bad. It has tiny hairlike cracks in it, but not peeling, or chipping.

Is this something I should stay away from polishing? Or maybe just using revive and hand polishing prior to waxing?

9 answers to this question

I have nothing to add except that I polished my friends car that has that same paint color I believe you're referring to. It looks pretty amazing in the sunlight. It had a lot of neglect but it polished up nicely with the budget they had in mind.

post-5412-0-63401900-1390502558_thumb.jpg

post-5412-0-12927800-1390502595_thumb.jpg

post-5412-0-50418800-1390502646_thumb.jpg

Yeah I figured it would't polish out the cracks. I just didn't know how it would affect the already cracked clear.  The rest of the car isn't too bad except for a nasty haze on it. The test spots looked really good on the other panels.

Matt- I think that is the same color or at least really close. This is a 30th anniversary car, late '98 limited. Which the previous owner said they only did that color for the 30th anniversary? Which was 1999. Not sure if that's true or not

Crazing (also known as 'shrinking clear coat') is something that manifests as a series of cracks that looks like crows feet... tons of tiny cracks that are 3-4 prong and short legged. If you have that, you have the early stages of a bigger problem that will start to crack more and peel unfortunately. Polishing will really only speed up the process.

Take it to a shop and get it re-cleared "the right way" especially if you want to keep the car looking good. These cracks will only get worse as time goes on and the paint will most likely start lifting.

If this car is a beater and you don't care how it looks, you can buy some plastic spiders at a Halloween supply store and epoxy them to your "spider webed" hood........ Kids will love it!