Customer Service 866.965.0400

Need help... scratches

BitterGreg

Question

I just got a used car from my wifes grandfather at a great deal. The probem was it had not been driven in about 2 years, and not sure when it had last been washed. I washed, clayed, Revived, and Butter Wax. It looks a 1000xs better, There were either a lot of scratches in the clear coat, or I think I didnt work the clay as often as I should, or didnt rinse my wash pad as often, because there are numerous scratches in the clearcoat on the trunk and a few other spots.

I do not have a machine polisher, and probably will not have one until around Christmas. Most of the scratches are pretty faint, and can only be seen if right up on it, but there are dozens of 2-4inch scratches, and it bugs me. What are my options to try and get these out. I have the Glaze but did not use it this time, would that help any? If it would, would I need to clay those areas and re-Revive and put Butterywax back over-top of it?

9 answers to this question

Greg, above and beyond what you're already done, it will likely take machine polishing to completely remove them.

Do you have any pictures out in the bright sunlight?

I do not, but will get a few in a bit.

Ill leave you with a few before pictures. The car was covered with whatever is in these pictures.

post-12064-0-19226600-1406816214_thumb.jpg
post-12064-0-67355400-1406816202_thumb.jpg
post-12064-0-39934500-1406816194_thumb.jpg
Edited by BitterGreg

Those do not look like scratches caused from a wash pad or clay. Unless you had a large rock in your clay or wash pad...

Wait, you are not suppose to do that?

I hope that is the case. I know the first one is not, the ones on the trunk I wasnt sure. Either way, would the Glaze help any with those, or if i got the drill adapter would that help, or a full on Cyclo (come on Santa!)

A few years ago when I first started detailing I first bought the drill adapter and polishes when I wanted to polish out a long scratch on the side of the car (appeared to be keyed). I was able to dramatically reduce it in the areas where I had enough clear to work with. 

It is a little challenging using a drill with the pads to polish but is much much easier than working it by hand!!