Customer Service 866.965.0400

Adams All Purpose Cleaner on paint...

DJJimGreen

Question

Hey all!

I'm worrying a bit after reading a bit more about adams all purpose cleaner being put on paint.

So, in summary...

Last week I ran over wet yellow paint on the freeway (come on now...) and had yellow paint nicely applied to the side of my car.

I read a bit about solutions and in the process, sprayed APC directly on to the car and without dilution. It never dried and I washed it off after, then applied detail spray after washing and everything looks fine. I know I've got to go back and apply some wax but I'm totally curious what the actual affect of spraying APC directly on paint is.

Just ruining a wax job? Messing up the clear coat? I've read everywhere, now reactively, that dilution is the smartest thing to do. But if you don't..... what happens? I'm concerned about overspray elsewhere on the car etc..

Thanks!
Jim

2 answers to this question

If you didn't break the 'let it dry' or 'spray it on hot paint' rules theres no concern.

Obviously its going to remove whatever wax or sealant was on the paint, in terms of overspray just make sure you flush all the surrounding areas with water and you're fine.

The worst case with APC on paint would be the potential for etching, but if you don't see any then you have nothing to worry about. Its not like some symptom will manifest itself later. It either damages the paint or it doesn't so as soon as you're done using it you have your answer as to what its going to do.

If you didn't break the 'let it dry' or 'spray it on hot paint' rules theres no concern.

Obviously its going to remove whatever wax or sealant was on the paint, in terms of overspray just make sure you flush all the surrounding areas with water and you're fine.

The worst case with APC on paint would be the potential for etching, but if you don't see any then you have nothing to worry about. Its not like some symptom will manifest itself later. It either damages the paint or it doesn't so as soon as you're done using it you have your answer as to what its going to do.

Exactly what I was hoping to hear. I didn't see any immediate damage, so I assumed it was ok. There was just a lot of "Don't let it happen!" but not a lot of talk on reprocussion. Thanks!