Customer Service 866.965.0400

Plastic bottles failing after awhile?

I wish you could get 16oz HDPE bottles... I may be the minority but I like the spray heads on the 16oz bottles. I've contemplating pulling a Dan "The Wolf" and just upgrade everything I fill from a gallon to a 32oz bottle. 

I do prefer the Tolco 32oz bottles that are currently sold, over the 1L Kwazars.  The trigger pull feels better and they seem more balanced.  The spray pattern on the Tolco is also better on the thicker products like TS and HGG.

I keep my most used products in these bottles: TS, APC, diluted WW, HGG, DS, and distilled water.

The rest of the products remain in the standard 16oz bottles.  Either they don't get used as much, or the bigger bottle would be a hassle to use on an interior.

I wish you could get 16oz HDPE bottles... I may be the minority but I like the spray heads on the 16oz bottles. I've contemplating pulling a Dan "The Wolf" and just upgrade everything I fill from a gallon to a 32oz bottle.

Agreed I like the 16oz size and the black sprayers. I've been searching for 16 oz hope bottles that the black sprayers would fit

I ummm... I've been trying to figure out who Adams sources there bottles from because I like the size and shape. They obviously make a 36oz HDPE bottle so I figure they must make a 16. The only part I'm not looking forward to when I find them, is transferring labels without destroying them.

The Tolcol bottles are kinda easy to find where they are sourced from...lol. 

As to the 16s, http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?sku=66131I have no comment or experience with this bottle, I do not know if it is the SAME as the Adams 32s or anything, just went to a vendor I have used before. They do have plenty of other bottles as well.

Enjoy. 

edit: after a few moments of thought, the one thing I really like about the Adams 16oz sprayers is the OFF function and that is one thing the Tolcos dont have quite as easy as the Adams ones. 

Great just convinced myself to almost triple my bottle storage lol. 

Edited by pirahnah3

Off topic but a similar comparison. Did you know that if a carabiner used for rappelling is dropped (from any height) it is to no longer be used? True story, because under a microscope it develops tiny cracks that can cause it to fail. It looks fine to the regular eye but up close it is damaged.

I don't know if I completely agree with that.  I have a reliable source that does a ton of climbing and first ascents all over the world and in fact was recognized as a finalist and winner for National Geographic Adventurer of the Year.  I will have to ask him this and see what he says.  I can see a manufacturer saying this.  But it doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't any good anymore.

http://www.climbing.com/ask/can-carabiners-really-get-micro-fractures-if-dropped-from-high-up-a-route/

http://www.outdoorsafetyinstitute.com/index.php/news/single/should_you_retire_a_dropped_carabiner/

Edit:  My source told me that dropping it from "significant height and the top of a climb" it should be retired.  But just "dropping it several feet is going to have no affect on it".  I would trust a source that spends days sometimes on the face of a rock wall making ascents.  

Edited by LFairbanks

I don't know if I completely agree with that.  I have a reliable source that does a ton of climbing and first ascents all over the world and in fact was recognized as a finalist and winner for National Geographic Adventurer of the Year.  I will have to ask him this and see what he says.  I can see a manufacturer saying this.  But it doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't any good anymore.

This is what Illinois State Fire Marshall teaches. Better safe than sorry.

Edited by Kingsford

I'm not saying they don't work. I'm saying they are compromised and could fail. Like I said, better safe than sorry. 

My point is dropping a carabiner isn't compromising it.  You make it sound that dropping it on the ground damages it, and that is simply not the case.  I asked this climber, whom I would consider a pro, those questions exactly.  And what I put in quotations is what he told me.  His words where "significant height".  I doubt a drop at a height that the Illinois State Fire Marshall uses their equipment is going to compromise a carabiner either.  The guy that I asked this question to climbs walls that are several hundred if not a couple thousand feet high.  And a lot of times he does it alone.  On walls that nobody has climbed before.  And I doubt he would put him self at risk especially doing it alone and nobody there to bail him out.  His greatest fear is lighting, not a carabiner that fell out of his pocket and hit the ground.  Or even one that fell several feet as he put it.  And no it isn't going to fail.  You can see in the pictures I posted above the extremes that he does.  I doubt the Illinois Fire Marshall does anything to that extreme.  If the Fire Marshall is going to dispose of a carabiners that fell out of peoples pockets, send them to me.  I will put them to good use canyoneering.  

The manufacturer of climbing equipment in the link I posted above even said it was a myth.  

Ok, well my point is this is what I was taught and I have to trust my life with it and the lives of others. I'm not taking the chance because thats what I was taught and always have been taught in all of the Technical Rescue classes, I've personally taken, that were taught by people I trust with my life. No offense but I'm not going to take someones word for it on the internet. I've never met you or your climbing buddy but I have met numerous people that have jumped off the sides of buildings and cliffs to save peoples lives and thats what they have taught me. 

Furthermore this was just a simple comparison that has been blown way out of proportion and has become nothing to do with detailing. So...

The End.

Edited by Kingsford

Do the funnels fit the 32oz dilution bottles? Seriously contemplating upgrading for Both of my APC, detail spray and diluted rinseless and maybe both of my Deep Wheel Cleaner dilutions...

See what I did there?

They will, but if you try to tighten them a bit, then they will cock sideways slightly and want to come off. I can get mine to sit on the Tolcos quite nicely but it takes a moment. Not quite as nice as they fit the 16oz bottles but very useable.