Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cleaning Foam Pads

adam123nyc

Question

Hello all , during my paint correction process i noticed the orange foam pad getting quite dirty...How do you clean these pads and immediately continue with the project without having to wait for it to dry?

5 answers to this question

Really, if it is dirty (not just filled with Polish), there is no way to clean it and immediately use the same pad. You can try to use a pad brush at low speed but that usually just removes dried polish from the pad.

Best bet is to have multiple of the same pad to use on a detail. I generally have 4 of the same pad on hand for a correction, very rarely do I use more than 3 but it's nice having a back up.

There are lots of stories and products that claim to clean and dry pads fast but none work and some are dangerous. Some people have baked them in the oven to dry (won't mention names) and some companies make pad cleaners that claim to spin the pads dry. However the minute you put weight on the pad and turn it on water goes every where, which is why I quickly ditched the $130 pad washer.

Really, if it is dirty (not just filled with Polish), there is no way to clean it and immediately use the same pad. You can try to use a pad brush at low speed but that usually just removes dried polish from the pad.

Best bet is to have multiple of the same pad to use on a detail. I generally have 4 of the same pad on hand for a correction, very rarely do I use more than 3 but it's nice having a back up.

There are lots of stories and products that claim to clean and dry pads fast but none work and some are dangerous. Some people have baked them in the oven to dry (won't mention names) and some companies make pad cleaners that claim to spin the pads dry. However the minute you put weight on the pad and turn it on water goes every where, which is why I quickly ditched the $130 pad washer.

thank you for this informative response

when its filled with polish does it usually appear dirty? like a dark grey?

when its filled with polish does it usually appear dirty? like a dark grey?

Not usually. That usually means you hit some rubber with the pad or that the panel wasn't completely clean. I usually switch pads if that happens, never know what could of been buried in the pad that could scratch your paint more than it will correct it.

You can use the pad conditioning brush to knock off caked up and dried polish from the pad mid-detail.

http://adamspolishes.com/adam-s-pad-cleaning-conditioning-brush.html?___SID=U

As far as the color change on the pad - you shouldn't be seeing a significant color transfer unless you're dealing with single stage paint or the the paint is severely oxidized.