Customer Service 866.965.0400

Washing cars in my neighborhood

Brent123

Question

I am a 15 year old that loves cars. I was thinking that I should wash cars in my neighborhood during this summer. I use mostly Adam's product and I always use the foam cannon and pressure washer as a pre-rinse for my dad's car. I was thinking about using the foam cannon every time, and then rinse it and then start with a 2 bucket method and wash it with a microfiber mitt. For a mid-size sedan, I think the price should be about $20.And then, I could ask the owner if they want VRT on trims/tires, wax on the paint, and liquid paint sealant as an option. I want to hear your own opinion and advices. ~Brent

8 answers to this question

Yeah, most people won't care about proper washing methods. But it's still a good way to make some extra cash if that's all you're looking for. I'm sure some people will take you up on it. And if they're happy, they might want you to do it every week.

I say go for it.  It's good to see someone wanting to go and work for their money instead of expecting it.  

Go door to door.  

Have a "menu" of sorts that describes not only what you will do but prices for additions such as wax/sealant, interior detail, etc.

Dont' get discouraged if some people say no.  Some might prefer to do it themselves.  But if you get a couple done word of mouth can spread quicker than you think in bad and good situations.

Probably a lot depends on your neighborhood.  Do neighbors now wash their own cars, not wash at all, or go to local $10.00 car wash?

Well, I think that some people wash their own car not properly. If people go to their $10.00 car wash, I could tell them that it won't get rid of all of dirt, brake dust,etc, and I definitely can tell them that I can do a better job than a $10.00 car wash. 

I say go for it.  It's good to see someone wanting to go and work for their money instead of expecting it.  

Go door to door.  

Have a "menu" of sorts that describes not only what you will do but prices for additions such as wax/sealant, interior detail, etc.

Dont' get discouraged if some people say no.  Some might prefer to do it themselves.  But if you get a couple done word of mouth can spread quicker than you think in bad and good situations.

I don't know how to price the sedan, truck, crossover, suv. I just don't know if people are willing to pay a higher price than going to a $10.00 car wash. 

I do hand washes all the time for my customers. I'm not going door to door so they have to come to me, but for what it's worth, I do two bucket wash with foam gun, VRT tires and exterior glass.

Small - 35.00. 911, Vette mustang, etc. 2 door stuff

Medium - 40.00. A4, Benz sedans, Lexus sedans etc.

small suv - 45.00. Escape, crossovers, etc

Large suv - 50.00. Cayenne, X3/X5, etc

You get the idea. Any extras need to be discussed but I think once people see the difference in quality, you will get busy! Go for it.

I do hand washes all the time for my customers. I'm not going door to door so they have to come to me, but for what it's worth, I do two bucket wash with foam gun, VRT tires and exterior glass.

Small - 35.00. 911, Vette mustang, etc. 2 door stuff

Medium - 40.00. A4, Benz sedans, Lexus sedans etc.

small suv - 45.00. Escape, crossovers, etc

Large suv - 50.00. Cayenne, X3/X5, etc

You get the idea. Any extras need to be discussed but I think once people see the difference in quality, you will get busy! Go for it.

Okay thank you for giving me the prices so I can start to think about it. Also what do you mean by exterior glass? Just using glass cleaner or glass sealant?

We are in the same boat man. My neighbors have known me all my life and they know how much I love cars so they like to help me out when I need money so I mow lawns and detail their cars. Depends on my mood for the price. I live in Texas so I have like $12 for a wash in the summer due to heat and yeah it's great man. Just don't give up and you'll be good. Gonna try to find more people to wash their cars once I get done with finals.