Customer Service 866.965.0400

Detailing die cast

FordFocus897

Question

I am looking to get into diecast cars. Probably will be picking up some nice autoart models. However, being the detailer I am, I want to detail my diecast. So I was wondering if anyone here has any experience or had used Adams to do this? Would it work in theory? Or should I look for purpose made diecast detailing kits? (By the way, it would be awesome if Adams made a special kit just for diecast)

13 answers to this question

Detail spray works wonders, I had over 200 1/18th scale diecasts displayed at one time and the detail spray helped keep them nice. The problem you can run into over time is the dust will settle into the interiors and you will have to take them apart to really clean them out.

Good idea Gary, the compressed air would be a good maintenance step. I had never thought about it and after having them out for many years there was a decent amount of dust and cat hair built up. I'm sure if your displays have any kind of doors it would help minimize the build up as well.

Below is my last setup, as you can see mine were pretty open for the most part.

100_1016.jpg

100_1015.jpg

100_1014.jpg

Im a collector myself .. have  a lot of ERTL, GMP, Danbury Mint and some Auto Art cars. 

I always use Detail Spray on a MF with my finger and lightly buff.  Compressed air in a can works best to keep them dust free. I always find the 5 pack of these on sale. 

Detail spray works wonders, I had over 200 1/18th scale diecasts displayed at one time and the detail spray helped keep them nice. The problem you can run into over time is the dust will settle into the interiors and you will have to take them apart to really clean them out.

No need to take them apart just use a steamer and a blow dryer if needed

I use to think I had too many diecast cars, then I saw Ryan's pictures. Turns out I have a little ways to go. They are a real pain to keep dust free, I figure when I retire, down the road, I'll make some nice display cases to minimize dust.

Some f my models are "as raced" or weathered, but they still need to be clean.

Bruce

I use to think I had too many diecast cars, then I saw Ryan's pictures. Turns out I have a little ways to go. They are a real pain to keep dust free, I figure when I retire, down the road, I'll make some nice display cases to minimize dust.

Some f my models are "as raced" or weathered, but they still need to be clean.

Bruce

I couldn't even find the last pics of the setup, all the shelves had 2 cars each, where the one I posted only has 1 on a few of them. I wish  I still had all of them.

SO I'M NOT CRAZY, like the wife says, there are regular people like me. I have a bunch of die cast cars and motorcycles too. I use detail spray and my shark vacuum extendable hose. I tape soft foam cleaning tips "like adams interior ones" to the end and clean the interiors, sometimes compressed air just moves the dust around.

-Jason 

My wife is livid that I have so many collectibles in general but the dies-cast cars take a lot of space up.  

Many of the cars are in Rubber Maid bins and still in their boxes. I easily have a couple hundred of them.

Plus my many other collectibles from when I was a kid. She thinks I should get rid of them ..Ummm No!! Making an office for myself in one of the bedrooms.