Customer Service 866.965.0400

Choice Paralysis for process and products

mnewstadt

Question

Choice Paralysis for process(es) and products

basically I can't seem to gather enough info... (or maybe it's enough filtered info)

Start of with I am insanely busy most of the time...

But I'm trying to figure out a process for taking care of 3 daily drivers....

Start with the newest (and the spark that lit the fire under my butt about all this again)

2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax..  in Midnight Black Metallic came home about 3 weeks ago.. :D

2014 Honda Goldwing  yea.. again Black.. no Metallic here though..

2013 Mini Cooper Clubman S Iced Chocolate Metallic (this is the wife's baby)

I trade off with the truck and the bike as to what I take to work depending on weather and my mood...

the Clubman and the Goldwing live in the garage and the Tundra stays in the driveway.

here is what I have so far...

I need a Foam Cannon (and wash and General Purpose Cleaner)

I need to strip and clay bar and do any paint correction needed

then things get fuzzy.. a sealer and a wax and/or glaze? whats H20 Guard and Gloss count as?

Can I make it tough enough to run thru the drive thru car was every so often...

can I build a little carry with kit to get the water their misses and maybe restore some of the protection it takes away..

Can I make a kit to get the bug guts and crap off the bike while I'm out on a trip..

Anyway

Help me out here...

What's your process with your daily driver?

Thanks in advance... so many choices and I only have so much time to sort it out and decide what makes sense for me...

7 answers to this question

The foam cannon is nice, but if you are that busy, a step you can skip.

Strip, clay and polish as needed.

I'd definitely suggest liquid paint sealant for the tundra. Glaze will add a nice pop, but it is another step that takes time. With the sealant, wax is also optional. HGG is a water activated sealant, but doesn't have the longevity of PS.

As for the car wash... A wash with brushes will clean your car well and give you the added bonus of swirls! One without brushes uses harsh chemicals that will strip protection - that is where HGG can come into play.

A kit with WW and towels will help with bugs.

Edited by Tim

Crazy busy in that my schedule is pretty topsy turvy and fairly full. but I can usually find time to do Saturday or Sunday project eventually

I just can't say every other week I'm gonna detail the truck or even once a month... I've only actually washed the bike completely twice in 20k miles, but people usually think I spend lots of time detailing it cuz I keep a kit on it with 'spray polish' and micro fibers and do a quick clean on it while I'm waiting on other folks to show up and other stolen moments

If I can create a process where every 3-4 months I can lay down a super tough base and wash it and "tune up" the base.

Tough enough that an occasional trip thru the car wash won't kill my paint... That's what I'm hoping for.. Never dreaming that it's gonna be a show truck... Just looking good almost all the time. Kinda like Adam's daily driver video with a little extra love...

Matter of fact lemme go watch that again.....

Crazy busy in that my schedule is pretty topsy turvy and fairly full. but I can usually find time to do Saturday or Sunday project eventually

I just can't say every other week I'm gonna detail the truck or even once a month... I've only actually washed the bike completely twice in 20k miles, but people usually think I spend lots of time detailing it cuz I keep a kit on it with 'spray polish' and micro fibers and do a quick clean on it while I'm waiting on other folks to show up and other stolen moments

If I can create a process where every 3-4 months I can lay down a super tough base and wash it and "tune up" the base.

Tough enough that an occasional trip thru the car wash won't kill my paint... That's what I'm hoping for.. Never dreaming that it's gonna be a show truck... Just looking good almost all the time. Kinda like Adam's daily driver video with a little extra love...

Matter of fact lemme go watch that again.....

I feel ya bud. I'm curious what folks are going to say about your car wash idea. Lol

Phil, I'm pretty sure they think I'm insane... but I didn't need them to tell me I'm crazy... :D

So here is my planned procedures:

Exterior

1st time and every 3-4 months.

Strip

Do any corrective work (hopefully only needed first time)

Rinse

Clay Bar

Apply Liquid Paint Sealer (twice?)

Glass sealant ( not on Goldwing )

H2O guard and gloss

Regular wash..  Shooting for once or twice a month… hoping for every other month.

Foam cannon and two bucket wash

H20 guard and gloss…

Maybe Buttery wax or Brilliant Glaze for some extra shine on special occasions..

For those times I run thru the car wash.. Apply some H2O guard and gloss afterwards to keep things protected…  (gonna have to do some drying any way cuz, even if I go to the one that does hand dry after the blowers it still drips from the mirrors etc.

so any feed back on the concept?

Honestly, I would plan corrections 1-2 times a year, I do 50k a year or there abouts on mine and she lives outside all the time. I do my corrections in April and late October. 

That is also the only times I usually wash them as well. I will wash it once or twice more in the summer but I keep up with it via rinseless or waterless washes weekly. 

I do my PS typically twice a year right after my corrections, and only one coat myself. The H2O should make your life really easy on top of the PS. Glaze over that will add that POP you want. I would look at doing a waterless every week which shouldnt take you more than 20min on either of those vehicles. Which should really help your time out with it.

I manage an F250 CC, doing about 1k a week, waterless washes at least weekly, in the summer I do buttery wax every week to two weeks just because I like it, and in the winter I do H2O as able.