Customer Service 866.965.0400

Question

Ls1transam

Question

Ive always been priming my pads with detail spray. In the video on the sight Adam is correcting paint on a suburban or something. I notice he doesn't use anything to prime the pad. And he uses more product than I've been using. Has the formula for correction polish changed and you don't need to prime the pad?

11 answers to this question

I don't think the link worked.

SWA (supplimental wetting agent) - I noticed you said you used a detail spray to wet the pad. Not sure where this recommendation came from, but wetting Microfiber pads is not advised. You decrease engagement quality of it soaks into the backing, you increase saturated weight which exaggerates a lot of conditions and produces a better migration of heat... And if the Detail Spray contains wax it can impact your cutting power.

This is from dylan

Edited by lljimll

Just like Jimmy said I was always taught with microfiber it is not advised to wet with anything besides the actual compound or polish. Just put some on the micro pad and run it with your finger until all parts have some polish on it after that I use 3 or 4 pea sized drops depending on the size of the area I am working currently. On the foam pads I will spray some distilled water if I need some extra work time but this is very rare.

I don't think the link worked.

SWA (supplimental wetting agent) - I noticed you said you used a detail spray to wet the pad. Not sure where this recommendation came from, but wetting Microfiber pads is not advised. You decrease engagement quality of it soaks into the backing, you increase saturated weight which exaggerates a lot of conditions and produces a better migration of heat... And if the Detail Spray contains wax it can impact your cutting power.

This is from dylan

Getting quoted all over this thread. LOL

I'll leave AP policy for best practices with their products to the AP team, however the statement above was made specifically in relation to an SWA and its use with the AP pads. That rule is not true in all circumstances with all types of MF pads.

To further warp your noodle - what if I told you an SWA with some polish and MF pad combos actually INCREASED cutting power significantly. Weird right? Its true and demonstratable... if youre ever in an area where we're conducting a BigFoot polishing system class pop in and we can cover the concept.

Edited by Dylan@RUPES

Sorry dylan for quoting you (now I am totally confused). I would love to attend a bigfoot polishing class but I never see any on long island,ny. (or near) I still have a lot to learn

Thanks

Jimmy

Edited by lljimll