Customer Service 866.965.0400

Removing light scratches from windshield

Bryce

Question

Hey everyone, around 6-8 months ago we had our windshield replaced by safelite with an aftermarket piece.

Since then, tons of fine scratches have shown up on the windshield.  It is almost as if this glass is "softer" than our oem glass.  I cannot feel the scratches with my fingernail but I can see them constantly while driving since they reflect light.  They are on the outside of the windshield and range from 1"-4" long.

I am not really interested in spend another $300-$400 on a new windshield so what options do I have?

One thought I had was maybe the same sort of windshield repair epoxy they use for chips and somehow lay a flat coat into the scratches.  
I'm also wondering if a glass sealant or anything along those lines will make the scratches less visible or reflective.  Maybe that would fill it slightly.
From what I have read online, polishing it most likely won't work.  I did run over the glass with my DA and a foam pad but it just made it look more clean.

7 answers to this question

Sometimes something like an aggressive pad with aggressive polish can clean it up a little. 

There are detailing companies that make glass polish and you use a different type of pad. I've had mixed results with it but for $30-40 it might be worth a try.

The chip resins will not work to correct any scratches. The scratches are not deep enough for it to actually fill anything.

One thing to note about using a glass buffer is that it is possible to create distortions where you are buffing the scratch. Even though you can't feel it with your fingernail you will be removing a bit of glass to get it out.

In the 13 years I've been working in autoglass buffing glass usually doesn't work and can cause more damage in the process.

Edited by FrozenWS6

They probably won't warranty it since no one can prevent any scratches from the windshield wipers.

The only scratches they might do anything with would be a deeper gouge that could have been on it before or when it was installed.

Sometimes something like an aggressive pad with aggressive polish can clean it up a little. 

There are detailing companies that make glass polish and you use a different type of pad. I've had mixed results with it but for $30-40 it might be worth a try.

Do you have any particular products you recommend?  I believe when I went to auto body school that my teacher talked about some sort of polish with diamonds in it for glass scratches.  I certainly don't want to distort my glass however.

Sounds like a warranty issue.

Knowing Safelite, they won't help much.

They probably won't warranty it since no one can prevent any scratches from the windshield wipers.

The only scratches they might do anything with would be a deeper gouge that could have been on it before or when it was installed.

I don't think these are from my wipers.  They are in random directions as oppose to following the path my wipers go.  

That would eliminate the wipers.

It sounds like they took a used razor blade to remove the part number stickers off of the glass. That can put hairline scratching in the glass.

What I do is soak the stickers with a lot of glass cleaner and use a brand new razor blade every time.

Cerium oxide is what you find in most search removal polishes.

There are some new systems out now that are using different grits of sand paper/pads to work out scratches. I'm not sure what the polishes are for that though.

Edited by FrozenWS6