Customer Service 866.965.0400

Use ceramic coating on matte vinyl?

Brewmaster

Question

I hope this is not a plebeian question, I have a 2017 camaro fiftieth anniversary edition- with matte grey, matte black, and shiny orange vinyl stripes. I just applied wheel coating over the weekend, and now want to protect the whole car. Is it recommended to use paint sealant on glossy and matte finish vinyl? What about plastic lenses? Black plastic below rear bumper? I am not certain if the black glossy plastic is painted or not. Thanks!

post-15581-0-10077700-1486433105_thumb.jpg

6 answers to this question

I stumbled across a thread on here a couple days ago where someone used the ceramic coating on their vinyl wrapped car and had good results. So you should be good with the stripes solely basing off what i read. As far as the plastic below the rear bumper I would believe that it is painted. We had one at work a couple weeks ago and it looked painted to me.

My general rule is when deciding which coating to use has everything to do with the texture. If the trim is textured, I'll use trim coating. It's smooth like paint, I'll use paint coating.

As for the matte issue, you have a couple of options. One is to leave the vinyl without ceramic and just dress that area when you wash your vehicle. The other option is to coat it with the paint coating. The coating will darken the appearance and add some gloss though. It won't be gloss like ceramic on a gloss finish, but it will have a bit more shine. The first photo is cleaned and prepped for coating. The second is after boost was freshly applied the following day.

To answer your lens question, you can go over them with the paint coating. Make sure to buff it off so it's level and you won't have any issues with it.

post-11222-0-16707200-1486479325_thumb.jpg

post-11222-0-50513200-1486479344_thumb.jpg

post-11222-0-78472000-1486479389_thumb.jpg

Edited by medic001918

Thanks guys, for additional context - the picture I included shows all of these finishes. The grey stripe in the middle is matte, the Orange is shiny, and the black vinyl wrap on the rear decklid is also matte. It's easy to miss the black on the rear as well as the matte center stripe - heck, I didn't even notice them until I had the car for a few days! I think they would still look good with a little shine - and I need an option to protect them even if it isn't ceramic sealant.

So if im reading correctly your asking what an alternative protectant would be for the vinly. You could use VRT. Ive used it on my doors on a car i use to own that had vinly wrapped around them on the post around windows, with great success. (if that doesnt make sense i can find a car at work tomorrow and post a picture to show you what i mean, not sure how to exactly word it)