Customer Service 866.965.0400

The Junkman Tackles Some Nasty Scratches!!!

Junkman2008

Question

...with the help of Adam's Polishes! :thumbsup:

Okay boys and girls, another one from the desk of The Junkman. A friend of mine showed up in her 2002 Black Corvette Coupe with what appeared to be the damage caused by a truck which had backed up onto her front bumper. The damage was deep and nasty. I washed the bumper and dried it off just so that I could get a clean look at how much damage was actually there. Here's what I was looking at:

vondavette1.jpg

vondavette2.jpg

Here's a short video of the same damage:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldwXPQxrqY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldwXPQxrqY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

As you can see, this was not going to be a walk in the park. :willy: Armed with my Batman utility belt filled with various Adam's products, I confidently stepped up to the plate! :pc:

Step 1. The first thing I did was wash the bumper so that I could see what damage was actually done. The next thing I did was claybarred the bumper in order to remove any impurities in the paint. Remember, the prep is the key to the success that you will see when the work is done. This Vette is a daily driver and is not garaged so my final goal was not perfection, it was to make the bumper appear to have never been hit at all.

vondavette3.jpg

Here's video of me hitting the bumper with Adam's Detail Clay Bar.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0_pFgsjlJk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0_pFgsjlJk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

A funny side note: After I dried the car off from the clay bar work, my friend gasped and then stated with concern in her voice that the scratch was still there. Since I hadn't done anything to remove the scratch up to that point, it was still supposed to be there. I said to her, "Ye of little faith need to remain in the boat." She being of strong religious conviction, immediately got my joke and laughed. Those of you who don't get it didn't pay attention in Sunday school! lol.gif

Step 2. The next thing I did was hit the bumper with some Adam's Swirl and Haze Car Polish (SHR), a Adam's Orange Dual-Action Swirl Killer Pad, and some Adam's Detail Spray.

In an earlier thread that I posted, I talked about using detail spray on different pads along with SHR. The premise was that you could adjust the cutting action of a pad/polish combo by adding detail spray to the pads (thus thinning out the SHR). In this case I used a wet orange pad (pad sprayed down with detail spray), because I didn't feel that this situation warranted the need for the full cutting action of a dry orange pad.

I basically made two passes over the bumper with this combination. After wiping the bumper down, I took some pictures of the bumper up to that point:

vondavette4.jpg

Step 3. I finished the job up with a coat of Adam's Fine Machine Car Polish. Took a few more pictures too! Again, this is a daily driver which is not garage kept. Although that is the case, you can see that the job turned out pretty nice. The little imperfections that you see in the pictures below are actually things being reflected off my garage wall.

vondavette5.jpg

vondavette6.jpg

...and finally, one happy new customer and a true admirer of Adam's products. She's a hands on gal and can't wait to get started on her ride.

vondavette7.jpg

The Junkman :thumbsup:

Edited by Junkman2008

Dude, your write ups are TOP NOTCH!!!

But I would like to see you demonstrate on something a little bigger, hows about ... I dunno maybe a F-150? I know this guy in Central Florida that has a really nice one that would be good grounds to do a full instructional write up on! I bet he will even take the pictures for you!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Seriously though, great job! I bet she will be hooked on Adam's now:willy:

Dude, your write ups are TOP NOTCH!!!

But I would like to see you demonstrate on something a little bigger, hows about ... I dunno maybe a F-150? I know this guy in Central Florida that has a really nice one that would be good grounds to do a full instructional write up on! I bet he will even take the pictures for you!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Seriously though, great job! I bet she will be hooked on Adam's now:willy:

:lol:

I'd rather do jail time than have to clay bar an entire F150! That thing would take me a month to finish! Didn't you hear me huffin' and puffin' in that video? :willy:

When I did my Vette, my ball and socket joint in my arm hurt for three months!

I'd rather do jail time than have to clay bar an entire F150! That thing would take me a month to finish! Didn't you hear me huffin' and puffin' in that video? :willy:

Glad to see that I am not the only one who feels the effects of claying a truck. I was really feeling it after I clayed my double cab Tacoma.

Also, just to make sure I am doing it right, the clay should just be run along the surface, right? In other words, no real pressure should be used on the clay. I dont wanna know how sore I would be if I had to put pressure on it...

Glad to see that I am not the only one who feels the effects of claying a truck. I was really feeling it after I clayed my double cab Tacoma.

Also, just to make sure I am doing it right, the clay should just be run along the surface, right? In other words, no real pressure should be used on the clay. I dont wanna know how sore I would be if I had to put pressure on it...

I apply enough pressure to be considered as scrubbing the paint. Because of this, you saw in the video how much detail spray I was using. You have to keep that area good and wet or you'll mar up the paint. Although you can buff out the marring, I would rather avoid it all together.

Yea, clay barring is for them young guys with fresh joints! :willy:

In Adam's videos (Im thinking of the one with the black Ferrari) it looks as though he doesnt place much pressure on the clay. More or less slides the clay along the surface. Is Adam just _that good_ and he makes it look effortless while he really is apllying pressure, or is this because the car is garage kept and not much effort is needed?

lol...good point...I guess I would really like to see Adam, or a similar pro, take on a really jacked-up finish. I know that a lot of ppl on here have sweet Vettes that are garage kept and otherwise pampered, but Im sure we all have a DD that is less perfect and requires more elbox grease....

Hey Adam, how about a full detail on that beast Excusrion of yours??? I wonder if you could lift up your lil girl after clay barring that monster?

lol...good point...I guess I would really like to see Adam, or a similar pro, take on a really jacked-up finish. I know that a lot of ppl on here have sweet Vettes that are garage kept and otherwise pampered, but Im sure we all have a DD that is less perfect and requires more elbox grease....

Hey Adam, how about a full detail on that beast Excusrion of yours??? I wonder if you could lift up your lil girl after clay barring that monster?

It's funny that you want to see that. In the near future, you will. :thumbsup:

HA...

That's funny! But true, I cannot clay & detail my truck in the same day.. I usually wash & clay it one day, and then do the rest on the second day. Its just way to much work, now if I had a climate controlled garage, that would be different!!!

If that hurt you , how about my ext cab , long bed dually ? That might put you on a medical retirement .

I have tendinitius in my right shoulder and when i do my ecsb truck my hand swells up and my arm aches for two or three days afterward lol but man it looks good. it usually takes me 8 hours to do everything from beginning to end.

AJ , you know I was just picking at ya . Wait till I buy my Freightliner M2 , black of course . I think I will have to throw a detail fest and have a group over to detail it .

lol! I know you were, but you'd have to throw a heck of a party to get a crew that big!