Customer Service 866.965.0400

Paint Ceramic kit on Wheels

marauder

Question

I have a set of HRE wheels I was thinking of Ceramic coating as they're off the car for the winter. I have Adams Paint Ceramic kit and Trim ceramic kit. I was wondering if I could use either of those on my wheels instead of having to buy another Ceramic kit. I know I don't need to buy the full kit again, and can just get the ceramic coating. 

Could it cause damage to my wheels, or would it just me not as effective.

2017-05-07 19.27.59.jpg

Edited by marauder

5 answers to this question

You can use the Ceramic Paint Coating, but it will not last as long as the Ceramic Wheel Coating (maybe a year or so less).

You absolutely cannot use Ceramic Trim Coating on the wheels, or anything painted.  It is designed to be flexible for use on plastic trim, and also needs to soak into the surface of the plastic, which does not happen on painted surfaces.

You don't want to use the paint or ceramic coating kits on your wheels.  The wheels are actually a high source of heat.  The biggest difference between the coatings is the hardness and heat resistance.  The wheel coatings being the hardest of the three, the trim kit being the softest.

If you're going to go through the process of coating your wheels, make sure you do it right.  It's not an easy process to undo and redo again.

I used the Ceramic Paint Coating on my wheels about a year ago, because the Wheel Coating had not been released yet.

After a year, the coating is still performing, but I fully expect to re-do the coating after 2 years.

Like Shane suggested, I would also recommend getting the Ceramic Wheel Coating.  It is a lot of work, so an extra year or so of protection with the Wheel Coating is well worth the cost.

Thanks, I figured the trim kit couldn't be used as it's a totally different material it's trying to bond to. So the paint coating would work, but just wouldn't be as effective or last as long because it can't withstand the abuse that wheels see.

6 minutes ago, marauder said:

Thanks, I figured the trim kit couldn't be used as it's a totally different material it's trying to bond to. So the paint coating would work, but just wouldn't be as effective or last as long because it can't withstand the abuse that wheels see.

Pretty much. It’s a tool, but the right one for the job. Wheels see a lot of heat from braking. Especially if you drive spirited.