Customer Service 866.965.0400

New person using PC on a black car

myturn89

Question

I am new and waiting for my new PC kit to arrive so I can detail my 89 black corvette. I am still getting negative feedback from people that this is a huge mistake. With all of the videos and help, why is this still such a huge concern with people. Even on this forum some say they only hand polish black vehicles. Am i making a big mistake? I am super excited to do this but just curious.....

13 answers to this question

I have a black car. I used to be a guy that believed in hand waxing. :lolsmack: But seriously, the first time I used the PC i noticed a world of difference. Plus, you don't have to worry about burning the paint with the orbital. Trust me, a monkey could do it. It'l take a few times to get your technique down but you'll be fine and that vette will look sic as hell! Oh and don't forget to post pics! :cheers:

Does this kind of shine look like a mistake?

DSC00023.jpg

Edited by Rich

The only person I have ever heard say that was Rich, and he only says that cause he's too cheap to buy one :lolsmack::lolsmack::lolsmack::lolsmack:

Seriously, after your done you'll be kicking yourself for not doing it sooner :thumbsup:

If you are nervous at all just do what most people with vettes do. Practice on your daily driver or a friends car first :D:D:D:D:D

Rez, I had the same concerns. I had heard too many ppl talk about "burning" the clear coat and creating nasty hazy patterns. At some point I decided to just give it a shot. This must have been after watching Adam's DVD and seeing how easy he makes it look.

After tackling my dark blue and forrest green vehicles, I can say that my only regret is not trying the PC earlier. Its not as easy for me as it is for Adam (and others, Im sure), but it is still straightforward and safe. I LOVE my results and now have confidence in my PC skills...and that's a lot from someone with little mechanical ability.

jump in with both feet...everyone on this forum has your back!!

The only person I have ever heard say that was Rich, and he only says that cause he's too cheap to buy one :lolsmack::lolsmack::lolsmack::lolsmack:

Seriously, after your done you'll be kicking yourself for not doing it sooner :thumbsup:

If you are nervous at all just do what most people with vettes do. Practice on your daily driver or a friends car first :D:D:D:D:D

:welcome::iagree::iagree:

Adam sure didnt hesitate to use the PC on my black truck. He did a section by hand, and with the PC next to it, both looked great, but the PC side was awesome!

DSC_0022_15238.jpg

Mines in the mail as we speak, cant wait till it gets here!

The reason most people are telling you that you are making a mistake is because they know nothing about the buffer you are buying. The PC-7424 is an orbital buffer. The way that the pad rotates is similar to the way that the earth rotates the sun. The earth spins, but it also rotates around the sun. The pad of the PC rotates, but it is also making big circles too. This "dual action" is what makes the PC safe enough for a novice user. Since the pad is not sitting in one place on your paint, it is next to impossible for the buffer to burn your paint.

A true rotary buffer is a totally different animal. It not only spins, it spins at a much, much higher revolution than the PC can dream of doing. Since it does not orbit, it will sit in one spot on your paint and if you are not paying attention, it can not only burn the paint, it can wipe paint off the car. The great thing about the PC is that if you turn the buffer all the way to its highest setting and apply a lot of pressure to your paint, the head of the PC will bog down and quit spinning. It will still orbit (make big circles), but it will not continue spinning (which is how you burn the paint with a true rotary). Again, this is why the PC is so safe for a novice to use. This diagram shows the difference between how a rotary polisher's pad moves compared tp a orbital:

padmotion.jpg

I think that this is the explaination you are looking for when you ask the question as to why all of your friends are warning you. They only understand how a rotary head spins and the damage it can do. They are unfamiliar with the rotation of an orbital polisher. Keep in mind that you are going to have to get a lot of practice in before you will understand how to use the PC effectively so start on something else before you move to your pride and joy. The best thing to do is have someone show you how to use it. That speeds up the learning process big time. Watch the videos that Adam has posted over and over again. Practice makes perfect.

Good luck!

Ahh... It's not bad... Here's some info Adam gave another member here. I just printed it and will keep it handy dandy... Mines black as well. Just tell the haters that you wanted the fastest one you could get so you bought black.

1. Clay
  2. Swirl & Haze (if needed, Orange Pad5-6K Opm's)
  3. Revive Polish (White pad, which will get stained, 5K Opm's)
  4. Fine Machine Polish (White Pad again, 5-6K Opm's)
  5. Machine SuperWax, or Buttery Wax if not driven in the weather, stored outdoors, etc.