Jump to content
Customer Service 866.965.0400
  • 0

Clear Coat or Not? 1996 Camaro


RDKelly
 Share

Question

I have a 96 Camaro. I dont really know if it is clear coat finish or not. I need to buff out some scratches. I have a PC random polisher and all the Adams products to go with it. What do I use on this year's paint? Is there a difference in polishing technique or products on clear coat vs. not? And how can I tell if it is clear coat? - By the way, it has been garaged it's entire life, and the body and car are in excellent condition, so I dont want to screw this one up. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

1. I'm about 95% certain that year Camaro has a clear coat on top of the base color coat. The other 5% is in case there's a REALLY weird paint option that I don't know about. Most cars made in the last 20 or more years have the same basic paint scheme: Primer, base color, clear.

 

2. My advice would be to watch the detailing videos found here:

 

http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-videos.aspx

 

If you do what is advised on those videos you'll more than likely end up with excellent results.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

I follow the same basic procedure. You'll know the answer to your question if paint starts transferring to the pad. But not to worry, it does not harm the pad :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

 

It is amazing the shine you can get out of paint that doesn't have a clear coat :D:D:D

 

Before:

Image-05637CCD757011DD.jpg

 

 

After:

Image-0563F7B2757011DD.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
I follow the same basic procedure. You'll know the answer to your question if paint starts transferring to the pad. But not to worry, it does not harm the pad :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

 

It is amazing the shine you can get out of paint that doesn't have a clear coat :D:D:D

 

Before:

Image-05637CCD757011DD.jpg

 

 

After:

Image-0563F7B2757011DD.jpg

 

 

I agree...

 

Even if the paint does not have clear coat, Adam's will still make it shine!

 

Adam%27s%20Detail%20Contest%20096%20%28Large%29.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...