Customer Service 866.965.0400

Clear Coat or Not? 1996 Camaro

RDKelly

Question

I have a 96 Camaro. I dont really know if it is clear coat finish or not. I need to buff out some scratches. I have a PC random polisher and all the Adams products to go with it. What do I use on this year's paint? Is there a difference in polishing technique or products on clear coat vs. not? And how can I tell if it is clear coat? - By the way, it has been garaged it's entire life, and the body and car are in excellent condition, so I dont want to screw this one up. Thanks to anyone who can help.

9 answers to this question

1. I'm about 95% certain that year Camaro has a clear coat on top of the base color coat. The other 5% is in case there's a REALLY weird paint option that I don't know about. Most cars made in the last 20 or more years have the same basic paint scheme: Primer, base color, clear.

2. My advice would be to watch the detailing videos found here:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-videos.aspx

If you do what is advised on those videos you'll more than likely end up with excellent results.

I follow the same basic procedure. You'll know the answer to your question if paint starts transferring to the pad. But not to worry, it does not harm the pad :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

It is amazing the shine you can get out of paint that doesn't have a clear coat :D:D:D

Before:

Image-05637CCD757011DD.jpg

After:

Image-0563F7B2757011DD.jpg

I follow the same basic procedure. You'll know the answer to your question if paint starts transferring to the pad. But not to worry, it does not harm the pad :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

It is amazing the shine you can get out of paint that doesn't have a clear coat :D:D:D

Before:

Image-05637CCD757011DD.jpg

After:

Image-0563F7B2757011DD.jpg

I agree...

Even if the paint does not have clear coat, Adam's will still make it shine!

Adam%27s%20Detail%20Contest%20096%20%28Large%29.JPG