Customer Service 866.965.0400

Who needs a Prius, my Cobalt gets 57mpgs

IMADreamer

It's no secret I'm not on the hybrid band wagon and I think the Prius is a joke, I know people with them that struggle to get 40mpgs. All that expense in an ugly turd of a car.

Now I know my lowly supercharged Cobalt isn't the weapon of choice for most but this weekend I went on a bit of a road trip that was 379 miles long and leading up to it I decided I want to play with my tune and just see how far I could push the mpg.

First I will post up the results of the tune I'm running every day. I am making around 270hp and 250 ft-lbs torque. I quartermile in the low 13s and all this with full weight and my fat butt in the driver seat. My philosophy in modifying my car has been simple, air in air out as well doing the necessary mods to keep the air charge as cool as possible. All in all I've spent around 1500$ in modifications on my car and many hours dialing in my daily driver tune. Here are the results of tha tune after a full tank of gas with about 60% of the driving being on the highway.

052509_124101.jpg

This tune is not a maximum power tune but a somewhat aggressive timing tune meant for smooth daily opperation and the occasion weekend at the track. I'm not trying to break any records or impress anyone. The 41 mpg are mearly a bi product of good mod planning and really dialing in my tune, as well as a good knowledge of proper driving.

Next let's move on to my road trip tune. The car was noticably down on power, how much I'm not sure, but noticably slower but still not doggy by any means. I was conservative on timing, got a little carried away with the deceleration fuel cutoff, and ran a little leaner under normal driving, but kept plenty of fuel under power enrichment. While this is in general a leaner tune it's still very safe. I always tune conservatively as I like my cars to run well for a long time, not go like stink for a short time.

The results, well they say a picture is worth 1000 words.

052509_124100.jpg

My pictures are in no way doctored and I am in no way exaggerating these results. I have nothing to gain by doing this and I am selling nothing. I just want to get the idea out there that we don't have to settle for plug in cars and electric motors. Our current technology is more then suffecient to mean any new economy standards, with some intelligent modifications, effecient tuning (so much is left on the table by the car companies), and proper driving.

I never got it either. I'd get a VW TDI any day of the week before a Pious. Better long term value, nicer car, go forever, etc. My friend has got 65 MPG from his 05 Golf on road trips.

I'm road tripping the Lotus to Birmingham this weekend, and will get around 30 MPG driving from 80-100 MPH. The worst I've ever got on a road trip was 27 and we spent extended periods doing 110-130. Heck I get 14 on track! I imagine if I drove 55 to 65 I'd get in the high 30's but I've never had enough restraint to try it.

I drove a prius (as a loaner) for about a week. it was not cool. felt like I was driving an over-sized golf cart. and once I got on the interstate, it really sucked...I just new i was gonna get squashed like a grape in that pos...

Also, if there is such a thing as negative torque, that Prius had it. no acceleration whatsoever...lame

Awesome MPG! I average 24.5 mpg on the highway with my G8 which is tuned with exhaust and ram air and other HSR, and power items. I'd say that's pretty good for a 400bhp, 4000lb 4 door with 2 adults two dogs and a weekend of luggage.

Chris

My best was 26mpg avg on my trip to Ocean City MD. That was with some stop and go and driving with the windows down. I have a Mustang GT that I've made some mods to including a supercharger so I think that's pretty good. Driving for fun it's more around 15mpg.

Heck, I can get 25 out of mine with the milage setting and timing up! And its almost 4 tons!!!! The wifey's Hemi Jeep GC is another story. Downhill with the engine off she only gets 18!:help: