Customer Service 866.965.0400

2005 Honda Civic LX

This car was done for the wife of a co-worker as one of her anniversary gifts. There are no before pictures, unfortunately. The car is a daily driver that visits construction sites almost everyday of the week - it was really, really nasty inside and out. The pictures aren't the greatest - most were taken by my co-worker, who has no clue how to photograph a car :lol:

The doors are open in most pictures so that the fabric protectant could dry a bit more quickly.

Featured Adam's Products:

Adam's Glass Cleaner

Adam's Metal Polish

Other Guy's Stuff:

Einszett

Swissvax

Menzerna

P21S

Tools & Equipment:

Makita 9227C

DeFelsko PosiTector 6000

DeFelsko PosiTector 200

Green CCS Heavy Polishing Pads

Blue MPT Finishing Pads

Tons of microfibers

Total Time: 4.5 hours

Engine Bay:

IMG_0415.jpg

Front & Rear Wheels:

IMG_0413.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

Door Jambs Degreased, Sealed, Lubricated and Dressed:

IMG_0408.jpg

Interior Vacuumed, Wiped Down, & Dressed:

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

This was a typically soft Honda finish, so it didn't take much to correct the imperfections. One pass with P0203S on a green pad over the entire car. Horizontal surfaces (hood, roof, trunk/spoiler) were jeweled with P087MC on a blue pad:

IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

The reflection on the bumper is me crawling around on the ground like a goof polishing up the exhaust tip :lol::

IMG_0403.jpg

P087MC to finish down the Taillights:

IMG_0418.jpg

Glass Cleaned with Adam's Glass Cleaner:

IMG_0402.jpg

Edited by Baron_Von_Awesome

That is beautiful Frank :2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

Was that the new glass cleaner or the old stuff ?

The old stuff. I won't be getting the new formula for quite a while since I have enough of the old formula to fill a swimming pool...Olympic sized :lol:

To anybody that doesn't have Adam's glass cleaner yet - it's the best stuff ever. The only product I've seen out perform it runs $24 for a 6 oz. bottle - and the sprayer costs extra.

Great job Frank I'm honored to have you as the first one to submit a thread under the new topic. Looks great keep em coming.

Thanks :) I'm probably going to edit the post a little later to put in some actual procedure - but I'm trying to figure out how to do that without essentially creating a shopping list of competitor products

Wow I didn't know what the DeFelsko PosiTector 6000 and 200 were so I looked them up. Those things are not cheap.

Yes, they are a bit pricey. The 200 is basically a hand held ultra-sound machine and the 6000 is basically a hand held radar device.

Edited by Baron_Von_Awesome

How do they differ from each other in use? I don't know much about them; the first I've heard of them came from watching that video of Paul Dalton doing the multi thousand dollar detail a few years back. I don't think they have been talked about much in here.

How do they differ from each other in use? I don't know much about them; the first I've heard of them came from watching that video of Paul Dalton doing the multi thousand dollar detail a few years back. I don't think they have been talked about much in here.

Both meters will tell you overall finish thickness as well as the thickness of each individual layer: primer, paint, & clear. The 6000 works only on metals and the 200 is for plastics, carbon fiber, and any other non-ferrous composite material. Coupled with the DeFelsko software, I can track a car's finish over a period of time; so the next time a car comes to me, in 3 mouse clicks I can see what areas are healthy and what areas to stay away from - which also plays a role in deciding which polishes to use.

The reason they don't get talked about is because the Porter Cable is by far the most used polisher on this forum - there's not much need for a thickness gauge when using one. Also, a lot of members are enthusiasts...not pros; so the cost of those DeFelsko gauges would be really, really, really, really, REALLY hard to justify because there would never be a return on the investment.

There are much cheaper, basic gauges available, however, they only measure metals and their margin of error is massive. But even with that said, it's a great little tool to have! And if the time comes to graduate up to a rotary - a paint gauge, basic or otherwise, is a MUST!!!

Using a gauge is also something customers really get a kick out of seeing - something that will really set you apart from other detailers. Hell, even paint correction in general would set you apart from most "detailers"! :lol:

Hell, even paint correction in general would set you apart from most "detailers"! :lol:

True, most detailers I've been to are more into uncorrecting paint. As time moves on I'm sure I'll graduate to a rotary buffer. But as of right now I'm still new to the PC. But this seems to be something that I'm very interested in. So hopefully it wont be too long. Are there places that teach these skills?

True, most detailers I've been to are more into uncorrecting paint. As time moves on I'm sure I'll graduate to a rotary buffer. But as of right now I'm still new to the PC. But this seems to be something that I'm very interested in. So hopefully it wont be too long. Are there places that teach these skills?

There are detailing schools, but you're better off teaching yourself. Detailing schools will only teach you the quickest way to turn over a car and move on to the next one - how to get the job done, but not necessarily how to do it properly. Grab a rotary, a backing plate, some pads, and body panels from a junkyard - learn at your own pace and refine your own technique.

There are detailing schools, but you're better off teaching yourself. Detailing schools will only teach you the quickest way to turn over a car and move on to the next one - how to get the job done, but not necessarily how to do it properly. Grab a rotary, a backing plate, some pads, and body panels from a junkyard - learn at your own pace and refine your own technique.

Well said Frank :rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon: