Customer Service 866.965.0400

Order of polishing steps?

Coach66

Question

I think I have asked this question before, but cannot find the post.

If I wanted to go "all out" with a detail job on an older paint car, would this be the order?

Wash-Clay-Swirl and Haze Remover-Fine Machine Polish-Revive-SprayGlaze-Wax-Detail Spray.

Or, does the Revive come earlier to remove older wax and glazes?

Or, is there a step here that is counter-productive, like Spray Glaze, or Detail Spray?

Is there a step missing?

10 answers to this question

I'm assuming you're using a porter cable because of the machine polish step, in that case you might not need to use Revive after that, but some people do, it certainly won't be counter-productive

The only thing is that the spray glaze should come after the wax. Also you don't need to use detail spray immediately after removing the wax (you can if you want to, others do, but I don't), just as a maintenance product once a day to remove light dust and smudges

Edited by GerryC

Thanks Gerry. I havent used Detail spray right after before either, but I have read that many do. Thanks for the heads up on the spray glaze. The reason I asked about the Revive is everyone talks about how much depth it gives to color, so I bought some to try. I just want to make sure I put it on in the "proper" order to get the best reults.

Anyone else?

I'm assuming you're using a porter cable because of the machine polish step, in that case you might not need to use Revive after that, but some people do, it certainly won't be counter-productive

The only thing is that the spray glaze should come after the wax. Also you don't need to use detail spray immediately after removing the wax (you can if you want to, others do, but I don't), just as a maintenance product once a day to remove light dust and smudges

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Ive got the card and have watched the videos. But, no one has used all of the waxing/polishing products at once. That in fact may answer my question, but then you get into "What product do I leave out?" So, I'll just use them all. Thanks for all of the replies.

Ive got the card and have watched the videos. But, no one has used all of the waxing/polishing products at once. That in fact may answer my question, but then you get into "What product do I leave out?" So, I'll just use them all. Thanks for all of the replies.

You know, it really depends a lot on the color of the car. A white car can get by with a lot less product use than a black car, provided that you are not going for that showroom, show circuit type look. A white daily driver can easily get by without the Revive or BSG steps. Even a dark colored car doesn't necessarily need all those steps as there comes a point where you are not going to see any difference once you get so far.

Different finishes and different colors require different approaches. There is no "set in stone" process that you must follow that is best for every finish out there, thus you must experiment and figure out what works best for your given situation. :2thumbs:

Edited by Junkman2008

Not at all necessary to do ALL of those steps... I'd go with the following:

Wash

Clay

SHR

FMP

Revive (not required, but it will deep clean/feed the paint)

Wax (Americana, MSW, or BW)

DONE.

If you want to work BSG in it should be your last step product, but honestly I'd recommend it as a product to bring some life back to the finish between waxing.