Customer Service 866.965.0400

Eliminate Windshield Pit Marks

Z07coupe

Question

What can I do to temporarily fill in those tiny pit marks in the windshield? Would wax or RainX work? I have no intention of replacing the windshield. I just want to reduce the number or size of the pit marks.

12 answers to this question

What can I do to temporarily fill in those tiny pit marks in the windshield? Would wax or RainX work? I have no intention of replacing the windshield. I just want to reduce the number or size of the pit marks.

I've heard that people have gotten a little clarity from their windshields by clay-barring and then buffing them with a little S&H remover, followed by a decent wax of your choice. It's worth a try. :2thumbs:

I don't think they make a filler that they sell on the market that works well.

You could see if they can polish the pit marks at a windshield shop,but depending on how bad it is it could end up worse and have to replace it anyway.

Try some BSG on the glass and see if that helps.

Tom,

You are just like Mighty Mouse. Remember the song...."He's everywhere, He's everywhere". That's you. You can also check me out at the Garage Journal Forum. Autox this weekend. Come and run.

All my cars have some pits on the windshield. That comes from tailgating the slow pokes waiting for a chance to bury the throttle.

Edited by Z07coupe

if they are pits, as in little indention in the glass I don't know what will work.

Here in Florida, glass is covered 100% no questions asked and you could have your windshield replaced for free. Check with your insurance for your laws though.

In my opinion, I would not wait to replace it. All those pits do is make it weaker as a whole, the next rock could very well crack it!

Tyler in Fl its not free, and you have to have full coverage ins.:pc:

Florida Statute 627.7288 states that the deductible shall not apply to windshield damages. However, you must have either comprehensive or collision coverage. A policy that provides liability coverage only will not cover your windshield.

Edited by Huckleberry

Sorry, I just assumed that most people have full coverage. It does not cost anything out of pocket to have it replaced in Florida (provided you do have comp or collision).

The glass in my truck has been replaced twice since I have owned it. Once from a storm and once from a dump truck slinging rocks.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm sure they will help. What I am talking about are the tiny little marks in the windshield, not divots or cracks. All cars get them, and of course, the more miles (and more aggressive the driver is), the more marks. And to compound the matter, the lower your windshield is to the ground, the more likely to attract little missiles. So no wonder, here's type A me, driving a 17 year old Corvette. No surprise here!

I will work on it soon and post my results.

Thanks.

Paul, we'll be in KC this coming weekend. Lots of activities planned but if I have time I'll try to come see you....

Also, my pickup windshield has lots of those "marks". I clay them then use the RainX they seem to be less noticeable.