Customer Service 866.965.0400

How many pads?

Superdutytd

Question

14 answers to this question

One for each product you're going to use

I don't see a reason for more, simply because the car will already be clean before polishing so you don't have to worry about actual 'dirt', and if you keep each pad dedicated to one product then you can just apply less and less product to the pad as it becomes more and more saturated with polish as you use it....if that makes sense.

However it certainly doesn't hurt to have extra in your arsenal to use as replacements when the 'in use' ones become too worn. I have 6 MF applicators from over a year ago and 4 of them are yet to have been used. I keep one on the detail bag to apply BSG at car shows, and one that I apply Buttery Wax on the daily drivers with

Wait, are we talking mf applicators or machine pads? If the latter, it depends on the amount of correcting you need to do. You'll definitely go through the orange pad faster than you would the others. In that case take Brian's suggestion, because if the machine pad becomes too saturated you'll lose cutting power.

I change out my pads pretty often just to make sure the cut of the polish/pad combo stays consistent: 1 pad per part (i.e. 1 for hood, 2-4 depending on how many doors, 1 for roof, etc.). It can be pricey, but it gives predictable, consistent results and also keeps dusting to a minimum.

I change out my pads pretty often just to make sure the cut of the polish/pad combo stays consistent: 1 pad per part (i.e. 1 for hood, 2-4 depending on how many doors, 1 for roof, etc.). It can be pricey, but it gives predictable, consistent results and also keeps dusting to a minimum.

Okay that's what I was wondering because my white pad was saturated after doing one door and one fender on an almost perfect, good weather only, range rover. I cannot imagine being able to do one car with only one pad per each product. I'm thinking for a Tacoma that needs pretty serious correcting I would need about 10 orange pads (1 per panel) and only about 3-4 white pads as the correcting would already be done and the white pad would be only for jeweling.

Gerry and Brian thanks for the help :lol:

Okay that's what I was wondering because my white pad was saturated after doing one door and one fender on an almost perfect, good weather only, range rover. I cannot imagine being able to do one car with only one pad per each product. I'm thinking for a Tacoma that needs pretty serious correcting I would need about 10 orange pads (1 per panel) and only about 3-4 white pads as the correcting would already be done and the white pad would be only for jeweling.

Gerry and Brian thanks for the help :lol:

You are using waaaaay to much product! Your pad should never get saturated with product on one car or truck. If anything, they may get dirty because the car or truck wasn't totally clean. Are you using 2-3 drops per application?

As far as the amount of pads, the white pad should be one that gets the most use unless you detail for a living (then the orange and white pad will see a lot of use). The orange pad is important for that first paint correction job but you should not have to keep going back to it unless you are continue to wash the car wrong. I keep plenty of orange and white pads and only 2 black ones.

Edited by Junkman2008

You are using waaaaay to much product!

That's what it sounds like to me, too. 2-3 pea sized drops. What I do to help keep product use in check is use smaller bottles - I picked up a few dozen 4oz. dispenser bottles and work out of those. Your brain will naturally use less product if it sees there isn't much to work with in the first place.

That's what it sounds like to me, too. 2-3 pea sized drops. What I do to help keep product use in check is use smaller bottles - I picked up a few dozen 4oz. dispenser bottles and work out of those. Your brain will naturally use less product if it sees there isn't much to work with in the first place.

Hmmm, never thought of that. Good tip Frank!:thumbsup:

I was really only using 2-3 pea size (or less :confused:) size drops. These are panels on a range rover though which are pretty large. I mean one door and a fender is a lot of paint.