Customer Service 866.965.0400

Wet sanding

jub jub

Question

If we have scratches that are too deep for polishing, can we address wet sanding techniques here?

I have a few deep scratches I can't seem to remove with polish. They don't appear to be deep enough to be down to the base coat but I'm not really sure.

11 answers to this question

Hi, and thanks for joining our forum! Wetsanding is a great way to make your paint look 3-feet deep. However, as a method of scratch-removal, is a last resort, once all else has failed.

First, where on the car are the scratches? Second, what methods and products have you used thus far to remove them? Lastly, do you have a rotary buffer?

I'd like to walk you through additional steps to attempt to remove the scratches, before throwing in the towel, and reaching for the sand paper.

Here's why: wet sanding will certainly remove surface scratches, but will also remove the orange peel that is factory applied in your base and clear coat. If you do an area, it will look different than the rest of the car. Also, it's not something to learn on your Vette! (I learned how on a rental car, which was returned exponentially nicer than when I picked it up, and only one spot that I got a little deep with the paper, and subsequent buffer!)

Still, wetsanding and high speed buffing is an art, and something that should be experimented with for many panels on a fender or hood from the junk yard, or better, a rental car. (wetsanding needs to be followed with a rotary buffer, and often a wool pad, which can and often does burn the paint if not done with care and experience.)

Here at Adam's, we make sure that the results achived are done so with minimal risk of damage, as that's our specialty. Please give us a shot at removing the scratches without wet sanding and buffing, as most new cars don't have gobs of base and clear coat applied, so it's key to do only as a last resort.

Thanks again for being here!

-Adam:thumbsup:

Hi Adam, thanks for responding.

I tried using Adam's Fine Machine Polish and Swirl and Haze Remover with a white pad first, and then the grey. I used a Porter Cable orbital buffer at 3-4k RPMS. Although I managed to reduce the scratches considerably, they are still noticeable.

I have two scratches that really bother me, one on the fuel door about 4" long and one on the rear fender where it flares about 2" long.

If you can help me to get rid of them, I'd sure appreciate it because they are driving me nuts! BTW, all my cars have been light colored so I never noticed scratches before. AS you know, black is a different animal!

Jub Jub, I am in the process of doing some wet sanding videos using Adam's products. If you can live with the scratches for a little while, I plan on posting the completed videos and how to's here when it is done.

Very cool!

I'm in no hurry. In fact, what I find myself doing is polishing the scratches everytime I wash the car. I figure a little here, a little there, eventually, scratch gone!

I''m all ears though when it comes to this detailing stuff, so whatever you guys have to say, I'm listening.

Very cool!

I'm in no hurry. In fact, what I find myself doing is polishing the scratches everytime I wash the car. I figure a little here, a little there, eventually, scratch gone!

I''m all ears though when it comes to this detailing stuff, so whatever you guys have to say, I'm listening.

What part of the US do you hail? I'm in Kentucky, are you close?

Jub Jub, I am in the process of doing some wet sanding videos using Adam's products. If you can live with the scratches for a little while, I plan on posting the completed videos and how to's here when it is done.

Junk Man, I'm honored to have you do a video on our goods! Patrick of Digital Corvettes has incredibly kind things to say about you. We look forward to your videos, and thanks for joining our forum!

Hi Adam, thanks for responding.

I tried using Adam's Fine Machine Polish and Swirl and Haze Remover with a white pad first, and then the grey. I used a Porter Cable orbital buffer at 3-4k RPMS. Although I managed to reduce the scratches considerably, they are still noticeable.

I have two scratches that really bother me, one on the fuel door about 4" long and one on the rear fender where it flares about 2" long.

If you can help me to get rid of them, I'd sure appreciate it because they are driving me nuts! BTW, all my cars have been light colored so I never noticed scratches before. AS you know, black is a different animal!

So Jub, the most effective scratch removal tool wasn't used! The Orange, Swirl Killer Pad! Do you have that unit? Applying steady, heavy pressure, and going VERY slow with the Swirl & Haze Remover is how to achieve a swirl-free finish.

Now, to reduce scratches, we need to go by hand, over the scratch, then across it, etc. This is the safest way to do it, and if you do this a few dozen rounds, following with the Fine Machine Polish, you'll reduce the scratches by a long shot.

We are also coming out with a nice little program to spot-remove scratches soon, if your don't get to it in the next few weeks.

ORANGE PAD = NO SWIRLS! Go slow, apply pressure, and you'll like the results.

Thanks! -Adam:2thumbs:

Junk Man, I'm honored to have you do a video on our goods! Patrick of Digital Corvettes has incredibly kind things to say about you. We look forward to your videos, and thanks for joining our forum!

Thanks Adam, and thanks for having me! I look forward to finding out what Adam's products can do as the attention to detail in customer service is unlike any you see in today's business practices. When a company takes this much pride in serving their customer, it reflects the scrutiny that must go into the development of its products. It takes special individuals to work for company that strives this hard to live up to the motto, "the customer is king".

Count me as one who is proud to be a customer! :2thumbs:

I do have the orange pad! I'll try it next time I wash the car and I'll report back with the results.

A question...does applying liberal amounts of wax fill in the scratches to where they are not so noticable? I tried adding several coats of butter wax to the scratches but it didn't seem help much.

I do have the orange pad! I'll try it next time I wash the car and I'll report back with the results.

A question...does applying liberal amounts of wax fill in the scratches to where they are not so noticable? I tried adding several coats of butter wax to the scratches but it didn't seem help much.

The old saying that "if 1 X is good, 2 X is not necessarily better" should be used when applying to car care products. If not only for the fact that you're wasting product, most of the time the product isn't given enough time to break down and when it comes time to wipe it off, the only thing you end up with is streaks, and more swirls from rubbing so hard trying to remove the excess product. Follow the product instructions to the letter. Remember, it may take multiple applications before the imperfection actually begins to disappear.