Customer Service 866.965.0400

Question about Rain spots

fiveoh

Question

This is probably a stupid question but here goes... I know water spots from local water(out of the hose or sprinkler or whatever) can leave calcium deposits etc that will eat into the paint. Does rain water do the same thing? Car got rained on yesterday at work and has dirty rain spots all over it, I wasnt sure if I should be concerned about it eating into the paint or if its fine to leave till the weekend.

11 answers to this question

Calcium doesn't so much eat into the paint as it just deposits on the surface. Hard to say what will be in your rain water... depends entirely what kind of pollutants are tied up in your local air or the rainclouds.

Often times the worst contamination is from the water falling from the trees during a rain storm. The day to day dirt and pollution that gets deposited and filtered thru the leaves concentrates into some nasty stuff. Then when the rain comes along and mixes with this sludge before falling to earth it can leave some high concentrations of minerals, acids, etc all of which are bad for your paint.

For 'real world' demonstrations of this simply look at walls or fences that pass under large evergreen or palm tress... they tend to be stained and discolored and this would be why.

So... in a round about way... you have nothing to be concerned about with waiting until the weekend. The calcium is simply a deposit on the surface... it should come off with washing. If it doesn't a quick pass of polish should take care of any tough spots and then you can reapply your wax.

Calcium doesn't so much eat into the paint as it just deposits on the surface. Hard to say what will be in your rain water... depends entirely what kind of pollutants are tied up in your local air or the rainclouds.

Often times the worst contamination is from the water falling from the trees during a rain storm. The day to day dirt and pollution that gets deposited and filtered thru the leaves concentrates into some nasty stuff. Then when the rain comes along and mixes with this sludge before falling to earth it can leave some high concentrations of minerals, acids, etc all of which are bad for your paint.

For 'real world' demonstrations of this simply look at walls or fences that pass under large evergreen or palm tress... they tend to be stained and discolored and this would be why.

So... in a round about way... you have nothing to be concerned about with waiting until the weekend. The calcium is simply a deposit on the surface... it should come off with washing. If it doesn't a quick pass of polish should take care of any tough spots and then you can reapply your wax.

Good info thanks! It's forecasted to rain until the weekend so I'll just leave it till then.

good plan... no sense in trying to clean it if its just gonna be raining all week... its just the torture of knowing your car isn't spotless... trust me, I can sympathize. :D

That and I think I'm turning into a hypochondriac about my car. I always think any little thing on the paint is going to eat thru my clearcoat and ruin it. :willy:

That and I think I'm turning into a hypochondriac about my car. I always think any little thing on the paint is going to eat thru my clearcoat and ruin it. :willy:

That just makes you normal on this site :lol:

I won't even take my car out in the rain :willy::willy::willy:

That sounds more like hard water etching theres a few things that can cause it, mostly though its acid rain and a lack of quality protection on the paints surface. They can be polished out in most cases, just takes time and patience like any other defect removal.