Customer Service 866.965.0400

Wetsanding adventure

Superdutytd

Question

This door has to go in to get fixed so I decided I would practice some wetsanding on it. Had a couple of scratches that were all the way into the paint but I decided to try and make them look better. Had some fingernail catchers right below the window and made them disappear. The whole ordeal took twenty minutes.

I only used 2000 as all i had was 1500 and 2000 and didn't want to push it even though the door has to get repainted. Someone broke my halogen light and I haven't replaced it yet:mad:. I'm actually waiting for it to get a bit dark and cooler outside because its scorching right now. I'll go check it with an LED flashlight. I sure wish I had a PTG.

2000 grit IS pushing it! That is going to take some work to get out if you decide to do it. That's why I follow that with some 2500 and then some 3000 grit paper. You will need a yellow Adam's pad and a whole lot of passes to get rid of all the scratches 2000 grit leaves behind. You almost need a rotary for that paper. I recommend no more than 2500 grit with the PC and SHR. The flashlight you use will illuminate it some but the best thing to do is use your camera, get in close and fire off the flash. Use the camera's macro function so that you can get in close and still be in focus. That is the way I expose hidden damage like this...

You can see a little damage in this picture:

chrynats4.jpg

But you really see in this picture!

chrynats3.jpg

Edited by Junkman2008

Just checked the door with some HID headlights (which I think Frank told me work great for seeing defects) and the door now has perfect paint, lol at least that spot does. The rest of it is swirled to hell but the thing is tan and is usually covered in dirt so you can't see them.

Yea that was the idea! The thing is going in to get fixed next week. Maybe I'll ask them if I can keep the old door to practice this kind of stuff on!

Oh and I did some more wetsanding today :banana:

Started with 1500 then 2000 then some aluminum polish then finished off with some Adams Metal Polish on a MF.

Pic #1-Before

#2-During

#3-During

#4-Finished

#5- 5 month old MSW still looks great!

Don't forget to start with the 80 grit :lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lolsmack:

Thanks for the compliments everyone! That exhaust is such an eyesore but I think it looks better. I don't think the steel is 304 because I couldn't get it to polish up a mirror finish no matter what I tried.

Don't forget to start with the 80 grit :lol::lol::lol::lol:

of COURSE :) well actually i wanna key up his CHALLY and then enter it in the before/after contest hahaha he knows im kidding of course just waiting for him to chime in already ! :lolsmack:

a want to whats right way to weet sanding

do a nead to do in 1 direktion al time? or can a juse a small grinding maskin?

or do a nead a osillation maskin?

Send a PM to Jesse, he might be able to help you out :thumbsup:

Send a PM to Jesse, he might be able to help you out :thumbsup:

Bill!

MrWelder, you want to go in one direction with each paper so that when you follow it with a different grit, you can see that you are undoing the damage from the previous grit.

What are you calling a "grinding maskin?"

Very nice! I thought 2500 was the limit for the PC, but then I read you used the Flex. Don't let Adam see that. :lol:

2500 is pushing it for the PC. I would stay with 3000.