Customer Service 866.965.0400

Can You Damage Your Paint with the PC-7424XP?

Junkman2008

Question

... well these two videos will answer that question in detail! I explain why you should or should not worry about doing so.

One thing that I did in these videos was use a super abrasive polish by Meguiar's to do this demonstration (Meguiar's Diamond Cut). I did this because I wanted to use something extremely abrasive in this demo. There are those of you who will think that this polish being more abrasive than Adam's Swirl & Haze Remover (SHR) will cut your work in half and want to go get a bottle (instead of staying with the much safer alternative, SHR). Let me assure you that this is not a smart route to go because of the type of damage this stuff can do to your paint. You will eliminate one issue and be staring at a totally different type of damage that will require some know-how in order to remedy. Don't make that mistake. Stick with SHR which will leave your paint much more manageable using Adam's Fine Machine Polish (FMP) to remedy the aftermath of SHR.

Adam's Polishes (two of a few being SHR and FMP) have been engineered to work together to achieve effortless, outstanding results. Mixing them with other brands is for seriously experienced detailers, who know how to maximize a given product's potential. If that is not you, stick to products engineered to work together and are packaged to do so.

With that said, here are the videos!

pc-7424_damagevid.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XAqpOe9Zt4&feature=plcp&context=C3eddd95UDOEgsToPDskKLnQ2intRCubfF_v7pLHc1]How Safe is the PC-7424XP? - Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7A5BCCb7Gg&feature=plcp&context=C36f9c6cUDOEgsToPDskIYIDAykrTuBxBS72BAAsy7]How Safe is the PC-7424XP? - Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

After watching these videos, you probably want to make a visit here for The Junkman's Paint Correction Kit or here for your very own PC-7424XP. :thumbsup:

Edited by Junkman2008

• Answers 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

And the videos roll on! Every video has something new to learn.

Heck after this one I'm going to enlist my 10 and 12 year olds for help.

Just ordered SHR, FMP and MSW! Can't wait for them to arrive. The SHR is for my other cars. Not the Shelby.

Thanks AJ.

"Gator"

And the videos roll on! Every video has something new to learn.

Heck after this one I'm going to enlist my 10 and 12 year olds for help.

Just ordered SHR, FMP and MSW! Can't wait for them to arrive. The SHR is for my other cars. Not the Shelby.

Thanks AJ.

"Gator"

Don't forget the Clay Bar! That's a very important key part of laying down the foundation for a shine like mine! :thumbsup:

I've watched alot of your videos, but I haven't seen anything about using the pc(getting one soon) on non flat areas. I have a 2010 Dodge Challenger and the hood is anything but flat, plus it has 2 Hemi badges, 2 Vents and 2 washer nozzles. Also any tips on bumper covers, door handle areas and pillars would be great.

You can damage paint with any machine if you don't use it properly. If you watch Adam's how to Videos and the Junkman's videos I highly doubt you will damage the paint though.

Adam designed the products around ease of use. I started 6 months ago and I had never touched a Machine Polisher before and my paint looks amazing. I taught myself with the help of the videos I mentioned above.

EDIT: Sorry, for some reason when I came into the thread it didn't show any replies. Obviously what I said has already been said.

I've watched alot of your videos, but I haven't seen anything about using the pc(getting one soon) on non flat areas. I have a 2010 Dodge Challenger and the hood is anything but flat, plus it has 2 Hemi badges, 2 Vents and 2 washer nozzles. Also any tips on bumper covers, door handle areas and pillars would be great.

It's all pretty much common sense (I don't do rocket science because I'm not a rocket scientist), but I plan to address your questions in a upcoming video series.

The PC will not burn the 'non flat' areas like a rotary will. You may need the 4" pads to complete the job if you car has lots of 'bumps', but you should be able to get most of it with the 7.5" pads. You will need to move them around a little and/or adjust the pressure to keep them turning.

If the bumpers, door handles, and/or pillars are painted, treat them like the rest of the car. If they are chromed, a little FMP will work fine. My car has black painted pillars and I keep a 4" white pad just for doing that trim.

Use painters tape (green or blue) to tape the badges, washer nozzles, and black trim prior to polishing.

Oh, and Welcome Plum! :welcomebanner:

Thanks for all the help. I'm trying to learn as much as possible before I get a PC for xmas. Are there 4" pads for the PC or are they for drills only?

They work on the PC also. There are two adapters that come with the kit. I show them in my videos that cover headlight restoration.

It's all pretty much common sense (I don't do rocket science because I'm not a rocket scientist), but I plan to address your questions in a upcoming video series.

Hey Junkman; Is The video series you mention here still in the works?

Junkman I have to ask, so in this you are saying that you can not harm your paint with the PC, but however in your other video with you doing a ford Taurus, you were worried about the CC and being to agressive.

So am I to understand that you were just worried that you did not have to be really agressive to get results or were you worried that you may take the CC off?

Thank you ahead of time!

Junkman I have to ask, so in this you are saying that you can not harm your paint with the PC, but however in your other video with you doing a ford Taurus, you were worried about the CC and being to agressive.

You are going to have to go back and watch both video series and take notes so that you can quote me word for word. If you do, you'll see that I am saying the exact same thing in both video series. It is next to impossible to do damage to your paint with the PC, period. However, if you turn the thing all the way up, get the most aggressive polish known to man, stand on top of the polisher with all your weight on a very pronounced edge for about 10 minutes, I'm sure some damage will happen.

You know, do all the things that only a complete idiot would do. ;)

You are going to have to go back and watch both video series and take notes so that you can quote me word for word. If you do, you'll see that I am saying the exact same thing in both video series. It is next to impossible to do damage to your paint with the PC, period. However, if you turn the thing all the way up, get the most aggressive polish known to man, stand on top of the polisher with all your weight on a very pronounced edge for about 10 minutes, I'm sure some damage will happen.

You know, do all the things that only a complete idiot would do. ;)

Got it, So i am ok and am not going to harm my paint even if I am agressive with 9-14 ibs of pressure. Although that may not be necessary which I can start out with a soft cut.

Nine to fourteen pounds is not aggressive. The better question is, who's technique are you going to use? If you are using the technique that I use, then you have to do it EXACTLY as I do it. If anything, it sounds as if you are going to try and mix my technique up with something else and I can only promise you one thing. Failure.

Technique trumps product any day and you set yourself up for disappointment when your technique is not solid.

Well there's two things that you need to realize before you start. First off, the "slow cut" is NOT made to be used with the type of polishes that Adam's sells. It is made to be used with paste like compounds. I make that clear in the slow cut video thread. Second, unless you are working on some of the imports, don't waste your time with the slow cut. You are not dealing with soft clear. Just use my regular technique from start to finish. You are not going to mess up anything if that's what you're worrying about. That's the least of your worries.