Customer Service 866.965.0400

Question about Swirl and Haze Remover

Darth_Emma

Question

I've watched the videos (Adam's and Junkman's). I've read many many threads. What I still don't understand is this: what does the Swirl and Haze Remover (SHR) actually do to the clearcoat on the car to remove the swirls and scratches? Does it fill in the scratches thereby hiding them? Does it remove a microscopically thin amount of the clearcoat (the think outer layer that has the scratches in it), thereby revealing a smooth fresh clearcoat surface? Or is it doing something magical to trick the human eye?

If the SHR actually removes a very thin amount of clearcoat, then there is a limit to how many times it can be used on a car.

Now, I know that in one of Junkman's videos series he demonstrates that the Porter Cable and SHR cannot hurt the paint. But what is it actually doing?

Also I'm assuming that the fine machine polish does something similar, but not as intensively. I imagine that SHR is coarse grit, FMP is fine, but I know there are not supposed to be abrasives in Adam's products.

So, after all that rambling, I just want to know what the heck is SHR (and FMP for that matter) doing to fix the scratches?

Thanks.

5 answers to this question

I've watched the videos (Adam's and Junkman's). I've read many many threads. What I still don't understand is this: what does the Swirl and Haze Remover (SHR) actually do to the clearcoat on the car to remove the swirls and scratches? Does it fill in the scratches thereby hiding them? Does it remove a microscopically thin amount of the clearcoat (the think outer layer that has the scratches in it), thereby revealing a smooth fresh clearcoat surface? Or is it doing something magical to trick the human eye?

If the SHR actually removes a very thin amount of clearcoat, then there is a limit to how many times it can be used on a car.

Now, I know that in one of Junkman's videos series he demonstrates that the Porter Cable and SHR cannot hurt the paint. But what is it actually doing?

Also I'm assuming that the fine machine polish does something similar, but not as intensively. I imagine in my mind that SHR is coarse grit, FMP is fine, but I know there are not supposed to be abrasives in Adam's products.

So, after all that rambling, I just want to know what the heck is SHR (and FMP for that matter) doing to fix the scratches?

Thanks.

You actually have a good handle on it :2thumbs: The SHR is more aggressive than FMP, they both will take off some clear but it is a really small amount. On the deeper scratches it will more or less round off the edges to make them less visible to the eye. Any polish or compound has some type of abrasisve in it, it is just a matter of what type and size of media used in the formula that will determine how aggressive it is :rockon:

Using a PC and an Adam's Polish it will take a long long time to take off a serious amount of clear coat. But you always want to be careful around the edges of panels where the clear can be really thin.

You actually have a good handle on it :2thumbs: The SHR is more aggressive than FMP, they both will take off some clear but it is a really small amount. On the deeper scratches it will more or less round off the edges to make them less visible to the eye. Any polish or compound has some type of abrasisve in it, it is just a matter of what type and size of media used in the formula that will determine how aggressive it is :rockon:

Using a PC and an Adam's Polish it will take a long long time to take off a serious amount of clear coat. But you always want to be careful around the edges of panels where the clear can be really thin.

Well said Bill. I might add the pads starting with the Yellow being the most aggressive then, Orange,White and Black having no Aggressiveness.:thumbsup:

:iagree:

Thanks to all of you for your responses. I plan to keep my new Camaro until the day I die (they will have to pry it from my cold dead butt!) ;) Ten or even twenty years down the road, I want to make sure I don't to through my clearcoat. It sounds like this is a non issue with Adam's products and the PC. Thanks again!

Archived