Customer Service 866.965.0400

Restoring peeling headlight!

Oupavoc

Question

Anyone know the best way in doing this, I've done it before by wet sanding. Just wondering if any Adam's product can help here. The process that I've used before on my older car was this.

Wet sand the headlight with 1,500 grit

• Sanding only with a side to side movement.
  • Sprayed water as needed on the area while sanding.
  • Stoped until the water run off is white or clear.
  • Rinsed with water and wipe down the headlight lens.

Wet sand the headlight with 3,000 grit

• Sanded in any motion. (Circular is easiest)
  • Sprayed water as needed on the area while sanding.
  • Stoped until all side to side scratches are removed.
  • Rinsed with water and wipe down the headlight lens.

Polish the lens to remove the 3,000 grit scratches

• Spreading a polish evenly over the entire lens.
  • Using a MF towel to polish and buff out the lens with circular motions

Wash the headlight.

• Using Soap and water.
  • Washing twiceto remove all traces of silicates.

Dry the headlight.

• Completely dry the headlight lens.
  • Allow 10 minutes to let any moisture on the lens to evaporate.

Apply Sealant.

• Using a MF towel and rub in a circular motion.
  • Making sure to cover the entire headlight lens area.

But like I said I'm wondering if I can use the focus pads, and some adam's product.

19 answers to this question

sry didnt see your post, but what type of headlight protectors you talking about. I was thinking something like a clear 3M film?

Sorry... Spelled it wrong....

http://www.xpel.com/products/headlight.asp

I also found some for my G8 on Amazon that were considerably cheaper but probably not as thick as xpel.

Chris

Fix it with SHR and FMP, and then look into the expel headlight protectors.

Chris

sry didnt see your post, but what type of headlight protectors you talking about. I was thinking something like a clear 3M film?

Only your wallet can answer that question. I would probably fix it first and see how long it last. If I had to fix it once a month, I'd buy a new set.

Thanks A.J this is why I love this place, great product and great people. Your right ill fix it myself first and see how long it will last, before I order a new one. If I have to do it once or twice a year I can live with it as, the wallet will take a big hit for that headlight to be replaced. Will post pics after the work is done :) Thanks again.

Should I get the light replaced? or just sand it down and as long as I have adam's product and the spot pads i should be ok?

Only your wallet can answer that question. I would probably fix it first and see how long it last. If I had to fix it once a month, I'd buy a new set.

Ok here are some pics guys should have put some up from the start, I just didn't know if the camera was going to catch it.

4660558847_952a4af1a6_b.jpg

4661176256_fe2cfa7419_b.jpg

4661177086_290f5a5801_b.jpg

4660555925_7d5d7e5e68_b.jpg

So what do you guys think, I know that last picture is scrape marks but the rest is the peeling issue that I got. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I'd recommend you post up some pictures. It's VERY hard for a professional let alone a hobby detailer to suggest something without seeing the issue.

Chris

I did a write-up almost a year ago on this topic.

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3141

Hey A.J, I saw that writeup and video, but the problem that I got is that the headlight aren't hazy. It's more flaky, it's not smooth. If I pass my nail over the headlight it catches. So what do you recommend, I have the focus pads but will they help in my situation. I also have the clear polish.

I'll have to remember that advice for when I can order someday. The Impala's lights are not hazed/yellow, but are scratched over alot of the surface thanks to Ohio winters.

yeah that how mine is, no haze or yellowing just flaky, guess its wet sanding time sigh

Archived