Customer Service 866.965.0400

Hard to reach areas

Midnight1700

Question

Just about everyone here can polish out a car or truck when it comes to the main panels on the vehicle. What about the hard to reach areas? Places like where the rear spoiler attaches to the trunk? You can't get a polisher under the spoiler, but yet there is a dark buildup of residue from previous washes and polishes right at the mounting to the trunk. Using a detail stick wrapped with a MF towel doesn't get at it. Anyone run across this???

19 answers to this question

Actually, with the amount of work this is taking, I'm probably going to lose money. It's a real nice car that's been garaged for a while but it's a real mess. More so with the interior, but I've already got that looking better than new. In this area, for the level of detail I'm doing, this price isn't too far out of range. Interior, stain removal, clean and dress Leather Seats, Exterior, engine compartment, trunk, headliner, headlight restoration, Ozone odor elimination, polish wheels and dress tires, outer trim restoration/dying and sealant. I'll probably have 10 - 12 hours into it when I'm done.

sounds good but was that faster than the 4 bolts? I wanna see the setup!

Got It! I took a wool polishing wheel, cut it down to 1-1/2 inches. Then I took the shaft and machined it down to 1/8 inch. Mounted it on my variable speed dremel, set to a low speed. Using SHR, it only took a couple of passes and it was gone. Finished with FMP by hand and it looks perfect. I took my Brinks light to it and you can't see any marks what so ever.

OH do I want pics of that set up and the car... I hope after all this you took a bevy of before and after photos!

Got It! I took a wool polishing wheel, cut it down to 1-1/2 inches. Then I took the shaft and machined it down to 1/8 inch. Mounted it on my variable speed dremel, set to a low speed. Using SHR, it only took a couple of passes and it was gone. Finished with FMP by hand and it looks perfect. I took my Brinks light to it and you can't see any marks what so ever.

and since you are charging so much i would like a consult fee please :)

Actually, with the amount of work this is taking, I'm probably going to lose money. It's a real nice car that's been garaged for a while but it's a real mess. More so with the interior, but I've already got that looking better than new. In this area, for the level of detail I'm doing, this price isn't too far out of range. Interior, stain removal, clean and dress Leather Seats, Exterior, engine compartment, trunk, headliner, headlight restoration, Ozone odor elimination, polish wheels and dress tires, outer trim restoration/dying and sealant. I'll probably have 10 - 12 hours into it when I'm done.

The Mustang has a lot of custom work done on it and really looks great now that I've got all the paint corrections done on it, except for that area. At a cost of $525 for the detail, I'd really hate to let this area go. For the sake of time, it's not that difficult to remove the spoiler and will probably end up doing it that way. For the future, I'll be looking at coming up with something that will work in very tight areas.

When removing it, tape off everything with blue painters tape around it so you don't scratch anything by accident. Better safe than sorry I say!

Chris

The Mustang has a lot of custom work done on it and really looks great now that I've got all the paint corrections done on it, except for that area. At a cost of $525 for the detail, I'd really hate to let this area go. For the sake of time, it's not that difficult to remove the spoiler and will probably end up doing it that way. For the future, I'll be looking at coming up with something that will work in very tight areas.

I'd ask the customer if you could pull the spoiler then.

Better yet, tell them what the issue is, and make sure your comfortable taking it off. Personally I would just discount the job a few dollars and say, sorry not happening..

Removing the spoiler on your own vehicle might be the way to go. But, what if it's a clients vehicle? Doing it this way will put you at risk and it may not be time/cost effective. I would hope there is an easier way???? I'm even looking at modifying some of my equipment to see if I can come up with something that will make this task much easier...

Archived