Customer Service 866.965.0400

MSW Stuck on Paint

Eidolon

Question

Hey, guys. I'm having some issues while trying to wax my G8. I put on two coats of Machine Superwax, buffed 'em both. Now there's some spots of MSW left on the car. The problems I'm having are as follows:

1. A simple shot of detail spray isn't enough to remove it
  2. Rubbing hard with my white microfiber cloth (the Adams superplush replacement for the True Blue) is a no-no and does appear to be putting scratches into the paint
  3. My white microfiber towels are losing their fibers onto the paint just like the True Blue did at the end of those towels' days, even though I've only ever washed them in cold water with Woolite and dried them on low in the dryer.

So is there anything I can do to bring my towels back from the dead? And can I use something stronger like APC to clean the paint? Or do I need to let the DS "marinate"?

Thanks for the help.

• Answers 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem here is that when you put the first coat of MSW on you need to wait for it to haze over and wipe it down. THEN wait 12 to 24 hours for it to fully cure and wipe again, it is a sealent not a wax.

I actually did do this. I waited 20 minutes before the wipe down, and then the instructions mention wait 12 hours and wipe again, using any DS to get off excess. I actually did skip the wiping down, though, believing that if I got enough off on the first go around, I was fine.

Much too much product, one dime size squirt should be more than enough to do your hood.

:iagree: When it comes to MSW less is more, you want a thin even coat!

Then this is likely my problem. Just too much! The further I went, the less I used, since the pad was saturated and I needed less to keep the coat up. In retrospect, not a good thing.

Agreed sounds good. A lot of iso is not 100%. Mine was 70% iso 30% water so I just added 20% water and called it good.

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

Agreed sounds good. A lot of iso is not 100%. Mine was 70% iso 30% water so I just added 20% water and called it good.

Yup, mine was 70% as well. I diluted it by a little more than half with filtered water, so figure it's around 30% now.

Hey, gents. I'm in the middle of giving it another go and I need your advice once again. I tried the dry pad with three small dabs of FMP, no DS, as in the video. Three dabs really does go a long way. The problem I'm having now is that I'm getting small scratches in the paint, I think from the pad itself. Picture below.

drypad.jpg

Last time I washed the pad, I did so with APC, rinsed it with water until the water coming out of it was clear, and let it air-dry. The car itself has been sitting, but I sprayed it with alcohol and then wiped it down. So I doubt this is from residual dust.

What can I switch up to get rid of this problem? Thanks yet again.

In none of my videos do you see me use 2 drops of product. Once I have primed the pad, I always use 3-pea sized drops. ALWAYS. If you are using the technique that I use, you do it exactly as I do it. Adam does it a different way and you CANNOT mix the two technique. His way is faster but uses more product. My way is much slower but uses less product.

I use the same exact technique on the entire car. I may switch to the "slow cut" technique if I want to flush a pad but once that pad is back in shape, I switch back to my regular technique.

Gotcha. I've watched a few of your other videos, but it's been a while, so I'm trying to nail down the few cases that the thread you pointed me to didn't cover. Thanks for all the help.

You never catch everything that I point out in my videos the first time that you watch them. I can just about guarantee that if you watch them 3 times in a row, you will see something new each time. That is the nature of the beast when watching a video tutorial. They are all in my area, watch them all. You can never watch them too many times.

You never catch everything that I point out in my videos the first time that you watch them. I can just about guarantee that if you watch them 3 times in a row, you will see something new each time. That is the nature of the beast when watching a video tutorial. They are all in my area, watch them all. You can never watch them too many times.

:iagree: I constantly find myself re watching your videos junkman and learning something new every time.

Pictures are always a great way to get the message across :2thumbs:

Yeeeah. Sorry this has been more of a rant than a request for help. I edited my previous post and toned it down a little.

You're right, though. It's gonna take some re-polishing to get it right again. Shucks!

As for the towels, I boiled them each for a few minutes and then tried drying them on low in the dryer until they were just damp. It still seems they're shedding somewhat. They're less than a year old, though, so they shouldn't be past their prime yet, should they? Any additional tips?

I come bearing pictures.

The wax buildup:

wax.jpg

Annnd my sad attempt to remove it:

scratches.jpg

You have a few options now, you can clay or polish out those spots and then just put a single coat over those spots until you are ready to do your next full detail.

I think I'm gonna let the DS sit and try a few times more before I resort to the re-polishing.

Or you can strip it all down and start from scratch :2thumbs:

And the reason for the above is your suggestion here. I spent a good 15 hours or more trying to polish out every scratch. Here's hoping it doesn't take another polishing!

And I think that is why you are getting the bad "spots" it is the residue trapped under that second coat.

You have a few options now, you can clay or polish out those spots and then just put a single coat over those spots until you are ready to do your next full detail. Or you can strip it all down and start from scratch :2thumbs:

Three or Four dime sized spots PER PANEL?? I think one of your issues may be that your pad is getting saturated with product. I'll usually do a thin X or a thin ring around the pad to help spread it out, but don't use anywhere near that much.

The heat from the lights probably aren't helping but they shouldn't be that close to begin with.

- Darryl

:iagree: When it comes to MSW less is more, you want a thin even coat!

I suppose I should here mention that my frustration stems from the fact that I know there's a right way to do this, and I just haven't found it yet. The products are performing as they should. I ain't!

You are at the right place, we will get you where you want to be :thumbsup:

Right, so I might be waxing over top of gathered product. I've thought about that as well, though I rather figured that the second waxing itself would serve as a second buffing since I'm moving the pad over the paint. I guess not.

The problem here is that when you put the first coat of MSW on you need to wait for it to haze over and wipe it down. THEN wait 12 to 24 hours for it to fully cure and wipe again, it is a sealent not a wax.

Then you are ready for another coat. When that second coat hazes over wipe again and wait 12 to 24 hours and wipe again. I think 2 coats is over kill myself but others like doing it that way.

As for how much product I use, I'd typically put three or four dime-sized squirts of MSW on the pad per panel, then move it across quickly to just leave a haze on the surface. I wasn't trying to leave a thick coat.

Much too much product, one dime size squirt should be more than enough to do your hood.

Three or Four dime sized spots PER PANEL?? I think one of your issues may be that your pad is getting saturated with product. I'll usually do a thin X or a thin ring around the pad to help spread it out, but don't use anywhere near that much.

The heat from the lights probably aren't helping but they shouldn't be that close to begin with.

- Darryl

I suppose I should here mention that my frustration stems from the fact that I know there's a right way to do this, and I just haven't found it yet. The products are performing as they should. I ain't!

Right now I think the problem is that fact that you didn't do a wipe down after the first coat cured and immediately prior to putting the second coat on.

I also think you might be using way too much product.

Right, so I might be waxing over top of gathered product. I've thought about that as well, though I rather figured that the second waxing itself would serve as a second buffing since I'm moving the pad over the paint. I guess not.

As for how much product I use, I'd typically put three or four dime-sized squirts of MSW on the pad per panel, then move it across quickly to just leave a haze on the surface. I wasn't trying to leave a thick coat.

Kevin, I would use more DS if needed to remove leftover residue. And when you stop your pc keep it moving until it comes to a complete stop.That will keep you from getting a bunch of product in one spot.

DS is what I'm using, and I'm about to boil my plush towels. We'll see how they do.

For the PC, that's typically exactly what I do: let it spin down and keep it moving until I lift. On the C pillars, though, there's still some spots running up them just from the pad itself. Ditto for the hood. Not sure why.

I noticed during this particular polish/waxcapade that I was having to use a LOT more DS to buff the polish and wax off after I'd used them. I'm wondering if I needed to be using more DS during application. Quartz halogens shined on the car to illuminate things heats up the panels, which causes the DS to evaporate more quickly, which means things get dryer and thicker more quickly. There were a few places where I found it impossible to get out all the scratches if I didn't use sufficient DS on the pad.

I'm with Bill and Chris...don't let the PC stop in one place to create a buildup of product and as Bill mentioned, you may be using too much. MSW should go on very thin and a little goes a long way.

I do a thin coat and let it cure overnight at a minimum and it comes off super easy with minimal effort. If you want to layer a second coat, you may do so immediately, but it needs to cure as well. Again, it should come off with little or no effort.

You could always clay the stubborn spots but that would remove any protection in that area as would APC or other "stronger" chemical that would succeed in removing the buildup of MSW.

Do you have any pics?

- Darryl

Right now I think the problem is that fact that you didn't do a wipe down after the first coat cured and immediately prior to putting the second coat on.

I also think you might be using way too much product.

You can boil your towels to bring them back!

Thanks, Chris. I'm going to have to try this. My Super Blue towels started fuzzing out any time I used them as well, rendering them useless for any actual use. I was going to relegate them to use for checking oil. I may try to bring those back as well.

Alright, so here's what I did. I can answer a few questions in one go.

Saturday night I finished putting the first coat on. I waited 20 minutes. Buffed it off. The next night (from midnight Saturday to around 6 PM on Sunday), without a second buffing, I put the second coat on. Waited 20 minutes. Buffed it.

The problem is that I'm just now getting around to removing any excess I see, here on Thursday evening, several days later.

But it frustrates the heck outta me that this is exactly how I managed to put a few scratches back into my paint the last time I polished the car. If the MSW gathers anywhere, such as where you stop and lift the PC, then that spot can be a pain to remove. Try to rub it off and... scratches!

Archived