Customer Service 866.965.0400

Anyone having problems with pads?

Guest Gone & Forgotten

... but I think ripping the pads off the BP around the edges also helps enchance the problem...

Bingo. If you're ripping the pads off the polisher, that will definitely put stress on the area that is ripping. I never remove my pads that way.

... I think on my next set of pads I'll just do the whole car at once with one pad instead of switching between them on every panel.

That's the way I tell people to do it in the first place.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bingo. If you're ripping the pads off the polisher, that will definitely put stress on the area that is ripping. I never remove my pads that way.

it's not even a fast motion that will cause it, it's grabbing it on the outter edges period. You need to really slide your finger between the velcro and grab it in the center.

Suggestion. Could Adam's make the pads with little pull tabs? For example the Velcro on the underside of the pad could have extra tabs of material that stick out so you could pull by the tab and not the foam. Putting the stress on the velcro. Plus this tab could be used as a reference guide to tell how fast the pad is spinning. Similar to Junkman's suggestion of putting a sharpie mark on the pad as a gauge on if your applying enough pressure. I hope this makes sense. And if this idea is used I want free pads for life! ;)

• 2 months later...
I am having this same exact problem. I have only done 2-3 jobs and my pads are tearing apart exactly the same way. I have kept them flat, used proper technique and washed them accordingly.

give Adam's a call right now! they may still be open for the day. they should take care of it

Guest Gone & Forgotten

yeah, I don't think replacement pads are being offered since it's been decided that this is end-user error and not a faulty product.

If that's the case tho, I have 5 that need replaced after being used on 4 cars.

2 green, 2 orange and 1 white.

i'm done.

yeah, I don't think replacement pads are being offered since it's been decided that this is end-user error and not a faulty product.

If that's the case tho, I have 5 that need replaced after being used on 4 cars.

2 green, 2 orange and 1 white.

i'm done.

I haven't heard of that being the case or policy at all. It just does no good for the user to replace pads if the same repeated failure is going to continue happening, due to a user error.

I have read the entire thread. I am using proper technique and cleaning the pads after every use just like the videos states. I have emailed Adam and I'm waiting for a reply.

The reason that the pads are ripping doesn't have as much to do with technique as it has to do with how you are removing them from the back plate. That's the number one reason I feel that they are ripping.

The reason that the pads are ripping doesn't have as much to do with technique as it has to do with how you are removing them from the back plate. That's the number one reason I feel that they are ripping.

User error?....oooh that one hurts.

Honestly AJ, and this is my personal opinion only, if you have to be that specific how you take the pads off...keep the pads perfectly flat (even the slightest lift while spinning they will begin to rip), then there is a durability issue. I highly doubt that people are being that negligent with the pads, and just ripping them off hap hazardly. With mine the White ones are perfectly fine with no pad degregation (3 vehicles), the orange is horrible after (3 vehicles), and the green is fine (1 vehicle). I know I'm not as finely tuned as you or any of the other guys that have been polishing for a long time, but I'm pretty mechanicly inclined, and while my technique is not perfect, I'm being pretty careful. Unlike that dude that posted on here that he dries his pads by putting his PC on 6 and letting it spin:lolsmack:

I'm not looking to get the pads replaced, but I think it's unfair to call it user error. I think it's good someone posted this, because most people like myself (and most people in today's world) wouldn't come forward unless someone else does it first.

For me, it's because Adam's is such a kick *** company, that we blame ourselves when in actuallity we shouldn't. I've seen countless times on this forum that people have SO much respect for the Adam's product line, that they would rather not take advantage of the guarantee. I would almost feel bad doing so for some reason, even after the $2K I've spent in that last 6 months:thumbsup:

Allow me to elaborate as to why I believe that the majority of folks experiencing this issue are probably their own worst enemy. With the old Adam's pads, you could grab the edge of the pad and rip it off the back plate with no issues. The old pads had that black ring on the backside of the pad that made this possible. The new pads do not have this reinforced ring and thus, ripping the pad off the back plate will easily cause this issue. I know this first hand because I had to retrain myself from ripping off the pads and creating this very issue. With as much buffing as I do, that took a concentrated effort on my behalf. This is why I know first hand how this issue can arise, and why I call it a "user-generated" error.

Now I'm not going to say that user error is the only way this can happen, but I can say that with amount of buffing, demos and teaching that I do, I have yet to have one pad tear up on me because I quickly realized how this issue could rear its ugly head. If I am not experiencing this issue with the amount of use my pads see, then that leads me to believe that the end user has to have a significant impact with this issue. Adam could probably care less and will replace the pad anyway but if you continually experience this issue, sooner or later you're going to have to look at the man in the mirror. ;)

That's my take. :)

I can see how user error could cause this issue. In my case, I could pretty much guarantee its not the case. My green pad I only removed once from the pad the proper way so thats out of the question. As far as using the right tencnique, I pretty much have that down too. Like I said I have emailed Adam yesterday afternoon and I am still waiting on a reply. Hopefully I get one today. I am very satisfied with his products. I spent 1k on adams to get my business rolling and this is the only issue. Hoping he takes care of me.

Thanks guys for helping

Both of mine (orange and white) did the same thing after two uses. They look just like the picture above. They started vibrating like crazy when they did it too.

But, although they laid in front of a fan for two days, they were ever so slightly damp and this could have been the reason they died.

I can see how user error could cause this issue. In my case, I could pretty much guarantee its not the case. My green pad I only removed once from the pad the proper way so thats out of the question. As far as using the right tencnique, I pretty much have that down too. Like I said I have emailed Adam yesterday afternoon and I am still waiting on a reply. Hopefully I get one today. I am very satisfied with his products. I spent 1k on adams to get my business rolling and this is the only issue. Hoping he takes care of me.

Thanks guys for helping

Like I said, Adam probably doesn't care why it happened, he'll probably just replace the pads.

Both of mine (orange and white) did the same thing after two uses. They look just like the picture above. They started vibrating like crazy when they did it too.

But, although they laid in front of a fan for two days, they were ever so slightly damp and this could have been the reason they died.

It's a possibility. A wet pad will really throw off how the pad spins. I hope that it was just a bad batch of pads, and maybe I never received any of that batch.

Like I said, Adam probably doesn't care why it happened, he'll probably just replace the pads.

It's a possibility. A wet pad will really throw off how the pad spins. I hope that it was just a bad batch of pads, and maybe I never received any of that batch.

You were right they took care of me. Lynn was very helpful.

THANKS ADAMS

Would like to add my 2 cents and by no means am I implying anyone is doing anything wrong. I believe speed is the culprit here..rationale follows:

Two weeks ago, I used my flex with the orange and white pads on a late model Nissan (dark blue) and this thing was in really bad shape (it was my sister's car and my guinea pig (test). You could not even see any reflections in the paint whatsoever on the hood, roof, and deck lid.

I started with the orange on a 2x2 area on the hood and set the speed on the flex to 4. I did 2 passes with the orange and then 2 passes with the white, all passes on the same speed. The hood, roof, and deck lid look great (sorry no pics). One week later I did the same thing with the sides and rear of the car but they only needed 1 pass each, also on speed setting of 4. The front end of the car is beyond any correction so I didn't even mess with it. I know for a fact there were plenty of times that I was not flat on the paint with the pads as this Altima has lots of uneven surfaces, but I'm thinking the slower speed was why I didn't have any issues with the pads coming apart. I did try speed 6 at the end of the job on the front fender and it pretty much scared the crap out of me and I thought there was no way I would ever need to use that high of a setting. Speed setting of 4 did just fine.

Long story short, my pads are good as new (I hand wash and wring them out, then grab them with a closed fist and sling them real hard into the tub to sling out even more water than I could wring out immediately after I finish detailing and then stand them at an angle leaning against anything and rotate them every hour one quarter of a turn...they dry real fast this way for some reason). And I never knew about removing the pad from the backing plate by going to the center of the pad between the backing plate..I just take them off slowly to remove.

Again, I'm not bashing anyone at all, and hats off to Adam and his crew for standing behind their products.

Rookie :jester:

We'll get you squared away Bob... no sweat. Like Adam said with anything theres bound to be a bad one here or there once volumes hit a certain level. Nothing is perfect every single time.

In any event we can definitely get you a new one to replace that.

Dylan: As you well know, I'm not even close to being a "starter" detailer regardless of the rough guess of spending $4,000+ on Adam's products. My last order I recived the PC plus more products. Pertaining to these pads. This is just a hunch, guess, on my part. However in one of your video's you do make mention of your preference in how you like to hold the PC which was "without" having the handle attached to it. You said that it helped in keeping the PC "level" and could control more, the amount of pressure you are putting on the pad. I just finished reading the entire posts pertaining to the problem and even though it does seem that Adam has it figured out, I am wondering if a person could possible wreck a pad by using the handle on it which could?? cause the PC to become uneven.

Well I see that question I posed wasn't important!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Would like to add my 2 cents and by no means am I implying anyone is doing anything wrong. I believe speed is the culprit here..rationale follows:

Two weeks ago, I used my flex with the orange and white pads on a late model Nissan (dark blue) and this thing was in really bad shape (it was my sister's car and my guinea pig (test). You could not even see any reflections in the paint whatsoever on the hood, roof, and deck lid.

I started with the orange on a 2x2 area on the hood and set the speed on the flex to 4. I did 2 passes with the orange and then 2 passes with the white, all passes on the same speed. The hood, roof, and deck lid look great (sorry no pics). One week later I did the same thing with the sides and rear of the car but they only needed 1 pass each, also on speed setting of 4. The front end of the car is beyond any correction so I didn't even mess with it. I know for a fact there were plenty of times that I was not flat on the paint with the pads as this Altima has lots of uneven surfaces, but I'm thinking the slower speed was why I didn't have any issues with the pads coming apart. I did try speed 6 at the end of the job on the front fender and it pretty much scared the crap out of me and I thought there was no way I would ever need to use that high of a setting. Speed setting of 4 did just fine.

Long story short, my pads are good as new (I hand wash and wring them out, then grab them with a closed fist and sling them real hard into the tub to sling out even more water than I could wring out immediately after I finish detailing and then stand them at an angle leaning against anything and rotate them every hour one quarter of a turn...they dry real fast this way for some reason). And I never knew about removing the pad from the backing plate by going to the center of the pad between the backing plate..I just take them off slowly to remove.

Again, I'm not bashing anyone at all, and hats off to Adam and his crew for standing behind their products.

DUH!!! I just realized this was about PC pads not Flex Pads. So I go and check my PC pads and my green, orange and white pads are all starting to separate as well. Not nearly as bad as any of the pics on here though, but they are starting.

My pads. The orange one is still usable, but the white one is too out of balance. I'm not wanting replacements since I got to do 2 cars with them but I sure wish they lasted longer.

RLF_1461.jpg

RLF_1460.jpg

This is what all of my pads have done. I think I am on my 3rd set. First set I did 3 cars, second only 2, I've done one car so far with the new set of pads and I see no separation at all......yet. I was HYPER careful with this pad set, and did a time lapse shoot of what I was doing to see if I could spot any glaring technique issues, which I didn't spot any( Good news!). I also added a focus pad set to help with smaller areas that have a lot of decals, sharp edges, etc to reduce chances of the pad not being completely flat. Also found my sweet spot for using the PC. I use it at speed 4.75. Basically 3/4 of the way between speeds 4-5. Then bump it up to speed 5 right as my polish starts to flash. The last car I did had a REALLY soft clear. Not sure how well this will work with cars that have hard clears, like GM's. Like Junkman this is what worked for me. I've been detailing cars for a long time, however I wouldn't remotely consider myself a "professional".......soooo basically don't follow anything I say or do. lol :pc:

I've got a similar experience with a couple of my pads but I am new to using a machine to polish. The car I'm working on now is just my third car with the PC. I noticed the white pad that came with my original kit did not stick to the backing plate very well. Last week I bought a second one while here in Atlanta and it sticks just fine. My Orange pad and my Green pad separated as shown on the photo but that's not to say I am using the machine correctly. I did notice the separation though. I'm not asking anyone to replace anything under a replacement policy and have placed an order today for replacement pads + the 4" pads (some of the hard to get areas I think may be where my problems are occurring). Next time there's a clinic in Houston (preferably northside), or Atlanta, I'd sure like to know about it so I can get a first hand look at someone polishing a car with the PC.

Archived