Customer Service 866.965.0400

Clay Bar Shelf Life & Storage Recommendations

mikegeaney

Question

Is there is a recommended shelf life for a clay bar? I have only used clay about 3 times and have been impressed with the results. I left my last bar out in the garage and I believe that the harsh winter, as well as improper storage, killed it. How many times do you figure you can use it? I'm not sure if that's even a valid question as it might be subjective depending on how "dirty" the clay gets.

Any tips as to proper storage techniques? I have heard various things such as putting it in a zip lock with a small amount of liquid such as a Detail Spray.

Lastly, is Detail Spray a proper clay bar lube?

Thanks.

Hi Mike- Your clay is good, even after a deep freeze. Bring it into the house for a day, and it will get room temperature, then work it by folding and stretching it a bit.

As for Detail Spray, THAT'S THE LUBE! Go to town, and we are going to be releasing a color-less Detail Spray/ Clay Lube to keep your hands from turning pink.

Stay Tuned . . . . .

Happy New Year's Eve, Eve!:thumbsup:

adam, my clay that i got was pretty hard and pretty hard to stretch, is that how this clay is or what?

What color is your clay Brian? The stuff is not exactly soft, but should be pliable when you warm it up!

Hi Mike- Your clay is good, even after a deep freeze. Bring it into the house for a day, and it will get room temperature, then work it by folding and stretching it a bit.

As for Detail Spray, THAT'S THE LUBE! Go to town, and we are going to be releasing a color-less Detail Spray/ Clay Lube to keep your hands from turning pink.

Stay Tuned . . . . .

Happy New Year's Eve, Eve!:thumbsup:

Nice. This clay (not your brand) just fell apart. I think it got a little "long in the tooth" so to speak. I look forward to the new product offering(s)....this one sounds kind of like white pistacios vs. the red! :lolsmack:

the purple one was definitely not as easy to work with as the blue, so what you experienced is probably normal

Gerry is right, the blue is easier. Nothing is better than the old Yellow Bar though! Next order Brian, put in the notes that you have a purple bar, and are dissatisfied. We'll include a Blue Bar free.

Good plan?

I never got the chance to use a yellow one, what made it the best? Watching you use the yellow bar in the older detailing video it certainly did look as if it didn't break apart at all when you stretched and folded it.

You can stretch and fold the yellow bars, which makes them easier to 'clean.' They are also easier to work with.

The yellow bar will be available in the USA in 2011. That's when the patent that Auto Magic holds, expires. AM sued everyone in the clay business, and even though their compound was nothing like that of the better bars, they had more money. The mfg of the better bars had a better bar, but much less $$$.

More money = successful lawsuits, unfortunately.

The yellow bars are available internationally, just not in the United States.

That's life, and I CAN'T WAIT to offer the yellow bar again in 2 years. Until then, the blue bar does the trick, and is not a terrible product. :thumbsup:

I just got your clay bar in my new PC DA kit I got and haven't tried it yet. I have always used the Griots yellow hunk. It's VERY big and having never used another one I have to say it works VERY well too. I like the color because I can see the contaminates in it.

How many times do you think we can use your bar? I need to weigh yours and see if it's as big as what I'm used to... (wow that sounds bad!) :o

Forgive me but I have used Griots stuff in the past and am just now changing over to your stuff so I still have stuff to use up from them.

With my Griots bars I always sprayed them with the detail spray and then sprayed some into the screw top container and then sealed them away. I store all my cleaning supplies in the basement in the winter too.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris, Griot's bar is also made by Auto Magic, and is a similar, if identical to our bar. I always tear off and use a small piece of clay, enough to cover four fingers, and the piece should be 1/2 inch thick. See this video:

<!-- READ FROM DB --> <form name="video" id="video"><embed style="width: 400px; height: 326px;" id="VideoPlayback" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-6555365404256807764&hl=en" flashvars="">

Using the Clay Bar Part 1

<table width="440" border="0"> <tbody><tr> <td valign="top" width="80" align="center" height="111">PREVIOUS

Detailing the SUV Engine

</td> <td valign="top" width="280" align="center">Instructional Videos Main Menu</td> <td valign="top" width="80" align="center">NEXT

Clay Bar 2</td></tr></tbody></table></form>How long the bar lasts is completely determined by the finish being clayed. The bar breaks down with friction, so using more Detail Spray will keep it alive longer.

Also, a rough finish, say a work van permanently parked outdoors, and oxidized, will kill a bar in one shot.

A garage queen clayed once each year will not kill a clay bar at all, and you will get dozens of uses.

Typically, 8-12 uses is about when a piece of clay is ready to be tossed. I use about 1/2 of a bar, so our jar of clay should net you 20 uses.

Your plan on keeping the clay in the jar with a squirt of DS is perfect!:2thumbs:

I use mine on my daily driver which gets driven in the snow and salt of the our beautiful Midwest winters.

I washed mine yesterday and felt the "crap" right behind the wheels and the rear bumper which literally feels like small rocks stuck to the paint. The clay takes them off but my thoughts are that these things are NOW in the clay right? Can't that harm the finish later?

Oh and I washed the car twice and it still had the "crap" stuck to the paint.

Thanks for your help!

Chris

I washed mine yesterday and felt the "crap" right behind the wheels and the rear bumper which literally feels like small rocks stuck to the paint. The clay takes them off but my thoughts are that these things are NOW in the clay right? Can't that harm the finish later?

If you fold the clay every so often you keep the dirt inside the clay and away from the surface so it won't touch your paint. If you fold it a few times and you can still see/feel grit in the clay it may be time for a new piece.

If you fold the clay every so often you keep the dirt inside the clay and away from the surface so it won't touch your paint. If you fold it a few times and you can still see/feel grit in the clay it may be time for a new piece.

Exactly Gerry! :iagree:

Oh yeah I don't have choice but to fold it a lot. It gets warm and gets pretty soft. Yesterday wasn't too bad because the car was probably 35ºF so the clay stayed cool and kept it's shape.

Oh and I don't know about the rest of you, but I wear latex gloves when using the clay so no matter what color the DS is it won't make a bit of a difference to me.

Chris

Gerry is right, the blue is easier. Nothing is better than the old Yellow Bar though! Next order Brian, put in the notes that you have a purple bar, and are dissatisfied. We'll include a Blue Bar free.

Good plan?

Adam, i appretiate your offer but i dont want to continue to take free products from you guys. you and your team have done more then enough, and given me more then i would have ever thought. and in this case with the clay bar i dont want to lie to you guys because the truth is i am satisfied with the clay i have.

besides i still have the 25 dollar gift card i got from when my last order was having some problems...

i do appretiate your offer though adam!!

Havent tried the adams clay bar yet. Only used the mequiars so far. are they about the same or is the meguiars one complete trash and probably screwing my car up more than helping it? these are the type questions im forced to ask since i havent been to a clinic yet(really hoping theres one soon out here)

I have a meguires clay bar that I used before I was introduced to Adams products. That bar is now used strictly for doing my wheels. Since they get a lot more grit that the rest of the car.

I don't want to transfer contaminants from the wheels to the body.

I have a meguires clay bar that I used before I was introduced to Adams products. That bar is now used strictly for doing my wheels. Since they get a lot more grit that the rest of the car.

I don't want to transfer contaminants from the wheels to the body.

Good idea!