Customer Service 866.965.0400

How to fix scratched instrument panel plastci

joelilton23

Question

Hey guys and gals,

As per the title, the instrument clusters in both of my vehicles are scratched pretty badly from previous owners 'detailing' the interior, and I was wondering what to use to remove or minimize them. 

I was thinking of trying revive by hand on a microfiber cloth, as I don't have a machine that would be small enough to fit into the corners. Does this sound like a logical step, or should I be using something that's made for plastic and a machine to get the desired correction? Also, call me crazy, but would using a trim coating prevent more damage from occurring later down the track? Any downsides to using a coating? 

You can see the damage under the gauges in the photo, for reference. 

Thanks! 

jazz gauge.jpg

6 answers to this question

Hand polishing can help with the minor scratches, but is not too effective at removing major scratches.

I would use Finishing Polish rather than Revive, since the abrasives in the Finishing Polish are better suited for removing scratches.  You may even need to do a 2-step polish, starting with Correcting Polish.

Here's a writeup:

Trim Coating should not be used on clear plastic.  If you are able to improve the appearance, then just use extra care when cleaning these areas, do not vacuum them with a standard brush attachment.

34 minutes ago, TheWolf said:

Hand polishing can help with the minor scratches, but is not too effective at removing major scratches.

I would use Finishing Polish rather than Revive, since the abrasives in the Finishing Polish are better suited for removing scratches.  You may even need to do a 2-step polish, starting with Correcting Polish.

Here's a writeup:

Trim Coating should not be used on clear plastic.  If you are able to improve the appearance, then just use extra care when cleaning these areas, do not vacuum them with a standard brush attachment.

Will give that a go -  thanks, Dan! 

Revive worked wonders on the clear plastic case for a Vintage Gillette razor I picked up. Revive does have properties for mild correction and is formulated to be used by hand. I would worry the Finishing Polish would be too aggressive for the clear plastic as well as being able to work it well enough by hand to get a clean finish. 

Least aggressive first, easier to get rougher with it than having to go back and fix some mistakes. If you have revive around, give it a shot and see. 

I still remember when Wolfe took and polished his cluster lol. Heck I just BG' d mine this weekend. 

Edited by pirahnah3

Jim brings up a good point. Since BG has filler properties, why not just try that by itself? Maybe it'll fill in the small scratches and not require any polishing. Talk about least aggressive!

Potential added benefit: if you're pulled over for speeding, you can say the shine was so bright you couldn't see the speedometer! And then you can refer the cop to Adam's. 

Edited by falcaineer

15 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

Potential added benefit: if you're pulled over for speeding, you can say the shine was so bright you couldn't see the speedometer! And then you can refer the cop to Adam's.

Lol I wonder how that would go over.....maybe if I kept the metal polish in the car and could offer to do his badge for him lol.