Customer Service 866.965.0400

Antiozonant sling off staining

Racinwith8

Question

Hey guys new to foru, love the posts and large amount of great tips. Cleaned and detailed wife's brand new pearl white Acura TLX.  After she drove it for the afternoon I noticed some what I thought was tire dressing sling, brownish in color. Well it wont come off no matter what I use. Thanks to this forum I found out what it was.  Apparently I didn't get the tire clean and to be honest Ive never worried about anything but the rim.  Apparently the antiozonant used my tire dressing as a propellant and I have brown spots on the the rear trim.  I have tried everything from bug and tar to polishing compound on a random orbital. I read somewhere that over time if will fade, but my OCD wont let me wait.  Any advise would be greatly appreciated, as I am in the doghouse!

7 answers to this question

I was under the impression it was on the black plastic or rubber trim, not paint. TRC could work on the trim, but not really for paint. APC will remove any protection you have on the car besides coating, so if you try it, be prepared to reapply. But really, I may have spoken out of turn here, so will await any more info you can provide. Pictures would really help, too.

I have not. I tried simple green, goo gone and anything else I could find in the garage. Would the TRC be safe on the clear? If you rub your finger across it it will grab on the spots but nothing will take it off. In the future I will pay more attention to the tires themselves. I've got a '12 pearl Camry as well and have never had this issue, it's like it's indestructible with out some heavy cutting on the clear. I would definitely prefer the chemical route over the abrasive. 

Sounds like tar or something the vehicle ran over on the road.  I had it all over my old white Camaro.  Nearly gave me a heart attack. Nothing took it off except polishing.  I'm sure steam and a clay bar could coax it off too.  But you said you've tried all of that.  I have no idea.  If POLISHING doesn't take it off then it's THROUGH your clear coat and staining underneath it.  Try in an inconspicuous spot go really heavy with a correcting/cutting compound and see if it comes out.  It had better come out when you're removing that kind of material.

Edited by LSX Maestro

I know these are interior use, but they do work for some exterior jobs as well.  If you can't get your hands on them soon enough, try a Mr. Clean eraser (gently!) and if it comes off with the eraser, be sure to retreat your car with whatever you have on it (wax, polish, etc)

https://adamspolishes.com/shop/interior/cleaning-conditioning/adam-s-deep-clean-eraser-6-pack.html

20 hours ago, Rich said:

I know these are interior use, but they do work for some exterior jobs as well.  If you can't get your hands on them soon enough, try a Mr. Clean eraser (gently!) and if it comes off with the eraser, be sure to retreat your car with whatever you have on it (wax, polish, etc)

https://adamspolishes.com/shop/interior/cleaning-conditioning/adam-s-deep-clean-eraser-6-pack.html

Interesting... Thanks, Rich.

On 5/22/2018 at 10:41 PM, Racinwith8 said:

If you rub your finger across it it will grab on the spots but nothing will take it off. 

Try that test again, but pay very close attention - at the point where the spots are, can you feel your finger going up (it's sitting on top of the paint) or down (it's eaten through the clear coat)? You might be able to tell easier by using your fingernail - lightly!