Customer Service 866.965.0400

How to clean/protect leather vinyl tonneau cover

LAflare15

Question

5 answers to this question

7 hours ago, LAflare15 said:

How do you guys clean/protect a leather vinyl tonneau cover and what products do you use on them?

The first thing to look at is whether or not is it is clean.  There are multiple cleaning options and you need to choose the right one for the material that your tonneau cover is made from.  You can also check your manufacturers web site for their cleaning recommendations.

Once the tonneau cover is cleaned, you can use a thin coat of Adam's Leather Conditioner.  If you apply it thin and then wipe it down with a microfiber towel until it is smooth.  If there are streaks or it look uneven, that is an indication that it was dry and needs to get a second coat or even third coat.  You'll want to wait an hour or so between coats.  Once the top looks good, going over it with Ceramic Spray Coating will give you the best results and longevity. 

The first picture shows the effect on the color as you can clearly see the coated dark side vs the lighter uncoated side.  The next two pictures are tonneau's that I've recently done this with and the last picture shows how the water just pushes away once you have CSC on it.

IMG_0502.JPG

IMG_0505.JPG

IMG_0495.JPG

IMG_0529.JPG

12 minutes ago, RayS said:

The first thing to look at is whether or not is it is clean.  There are multiple cleaning options and you need to choose the right one for the material that your tonneau cover is made from.  You can also check your manufacturers web site for their cleaning recommendations.

Once the tonneau cover is cleaned, you can use a thin coat of Adam's Leather Conditioner.  If you apply it thin and then wipe it down with a microfiber towel until it is smooth.  If there are streaks or it look uneven, that is an indication that it was dry and needs to get a second coat or even third coat.  You'll want to wait an hour or so between coats.  Once the top looks good, going over it with Ceramic Spray Coating will give you the best results and longevity. 

The first picture shows the effect on the color as you can clearly see the coated dark side vs the lighter uncoated side.  The next two pictures are tonneau's that I've recently done this with and the last picture shows how the water just pushes away once you have CSC on it.

IMG_0502.JPG

IMG_0505.JPG

IMG_0495.JPG

IMG_0529.JPG

If it narrows it down at all, I have the GATOR SFX tri fold cover.

1 minute ago, LAflare15 said:

If it narrows it down at all, I have the GATOR SFX tri fold cover.

Yours is rather easy to clean and you have a few options.

1. If you have a camper and already have awning cleaner or awning soap as it is sometimes called.

2. Adam's All Purpose Cleaner, diluted to about 20%

3. RaggTopp cleaner is another good option

4. Car Shampoo and good brush, but not too stiff to leave scratch marks

Once you've picked your method of cleaning, get it cleaned and let it dry.  Look for any spots that did not come clean and get the corrected.   Don't use APC full strength, it may leave a light colored patch.

Now make sure it is out of the sun.

Get your bottle of Adam's Leather Condition and apply a small amount of LC to a Red applicator and go over it in a cross hatch manner to get all the pits and valley's covered.  Let is stand a couple of minutes and then go over it with a Microfiber towel and repeat as needed to get it even.  Once you are satisfied, let it sit for a couple of hours and don't use the Surface Prep, just apply the CSC using a microfiber applicator to the tonneau cover, I split mine up in 4 sections to.  Wipe each section down as per the instructions, even through the rainbow effect may be hard to see.  Then leave it out of the sun for 4 hours and you are done.

Finally, don't forget to post pictures.