Customer Service 866.965.0400

question about ceramic over wax

Joey11

Question

Hi,

on my new scat pack I have only used a caranuba wax, but I ordered some adams ceramic spray and pre cleaner and was wondering if I can apply it right to the car now if I follow the 2 steps (pre spray and then spray).  the last wax was about two months ago and I do use H2O g&g sometimes in between washes.  Do I need to remove any leftover wax or can I just wash, ceramic pre spray, then ceramic spray?  I'm hoping not to have a zillion steps to this like clay bar etc.  the paint is in mint condition so no clay bar would be needed otherwise however I hear NOT to use any ceramic if there has been caranuba wax.  figured I'd ask here as I use mostly adams products in general.  

Thank you for any help.

6 answers to this question

For a ceramic coating to bond properly, the paint must be as naked as possible. And preferably as "perfect" as possible since they are locking in any swirls, etc. Yes, you should remove any wax or HGG that may be on there.

You may be surprised about needing to clay, so I recommend you do a baggie test. Run your hand lightly over a few sections of the car, then place your hand inside of a Ziploc bag and do the same in the same areas. If you feel any bumps, it should be clayed.

Since you've used carnauba and HGG, first do a strip wash using either the Strip Wash or a few ounces of APC in your normal wash bucket with soap (not W&W or Ultra Foam). Then, clay, if necessary, use the Coating Prep Spray, and finally, the Spray Coating. 

Bottom line, prep is everything with a ceramic coating. Cutting any steps out will leave you with less than optimal results, including potential decreased longevity, etc. While it seems like a lot, you'll be thankful you did the entire process on the other end.

3 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

For a ceramic coating to bond properly, the paint must be as naked as possible. And preferably as "perfect" as possible since they are locking in any swirls, etc. Yes, you should remove any wax or HGG that may be on there.

You may be surprised about needing to clay, so I recommend you do a baggie test. Run your hand lightly over a few sections of the car, then place your hand inside of a Ziploc bag and do the same in the same areas. If you feel any bumps, it should be clayed.

Since you've used carnauba and HGG, first do a strip wash using either the Strip Wash or a few ounces of APC in your normal wash bucket with soap (not W&W or Ultra Foam). Then, clay, if necessary, use the Coating Prep Spray, and finally, the Spray Coating. 

Bottom line, prep is everything with a ceramic coating. Cutting any steps out will leave you with less than optimal results, including potential decreased longevity, etc. While it seems like a lot, you'll be thankful you did the entire process on the other end.

perfect and thank you. I think I have the adams strip wash and it does not need clay last I checked.. so assuming no clay, simply wash with strip wash, spray pre ceramic, then ceramic coating and I'm good?  what about after this coat is installed say a few months down the road it needs something, do you wax over it or just install the same process and another coat of the ceramic?

Yes, strip wash, coating prep, and finally Ceramic Spray. Use any of the silica-infused products to maintain. Most use Ceramic Boost about once a month (more will cause build up so stick to once every 3-4 washes), and Ceramic Waterless is an incredible product but is only for light dust, fingerprints, etc. If you really like to wax, take a look at the Ceramic Paste Wax or Ceramic Liquid Wax, but neither needs done all that often as their longevity alone is measured in months.

Joel,

Here is a picture of my NEW Toyota ONE DAY after I received it. I didn't think I'd need to go through all the steps either since it was new. Boy was I surprised. I started with Iron Remover (the picture) then foam cannon wash, clay bar, more foam cannon wash, Prep Spray and Ceramic Spray Coating. Then Ceramic Boost and Ceramic Waterless Wash on the glass because they streaked with too much Boost. Unfortunately it is white so you can't really see it. But I was shocked when I put the Iron Remover on there. 

I'm a rookie and this was my first time do this. But based on my findings about two weeks ago, I'd do everything prior to putting the ceramic spray on your car.

First two are with the Iron Remover. Last two are the finished product.

IMG_0399.thumb.jpeg.4d2abc6e9ac2503b177dd570e57f944d.jpegIMG_0404.thumb.jpeg.dd1bfd90271002b606c94d56e058a5a6.jpegIMG_0425.thumb.jpeg.240eb5f0dbb4c9d51c7ba6c8b26b4dd5.jpegIMG_0436.thumb.jpeg.42dfc675ad211906b767a448a6ba1c6b.jpeg 

Edited by SgtLip