Customer Service 866.965.0400

Engine Cleaning on a F-150

Kingsford

Question

15 answers to this question

just make sure you dont spray a hard stream directly into the alternator or the air box or any of the major electrical components and you will be fine. let the engine get a little warm not hot but warm spray it down with apc give a little scrub and then use a light spray and rinse. if you notice any issues just put spray some wd40 in any connectors and you will be fine. I acutally just rub mine down with some apc and a rag and then follow up with some vrt. and if you really feel nervous place a plastic bag over the alternator and if you have an open element air filter cover that too.

I'm certainly no pro but leave the engine running, and don't blast any water straight onto the engine. Give it more of a "mist" or "spring rain" effect.

I used to be leery of washingthe engine/bay, but after watching Adam's video I just went at it. I've washed all of my vehicle's engine's, as well as friends'... you'll feel more comfortable with it as you do it more often.

Im certainly not going to do it while the engine is running. Its supposed not supposed to be 190 degrees when you do it and all your doing with the engine running is heating it up more.

Don't sweat it! Your F-150 is water-tight. Have you seen this video?;)

<object height="344" width="425"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyfjWhtmS2E&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"> </object>

Chapter 3 - Cleaning the Engine

Hey Adam,

I have seen that video. I watched it like 5 times today alone just trying to make myself feel better. Hearing it from you though makes me feel much better. I may give it a try tomorrow morning after shes cooled down over night.

Just gonna re-post what I said to you on the Facebook, lol, for other to see how I do it...

(This is just how I do it on my GTO and I have a custom intake). I usually take off my air filters and tape up my MAF so water can't get into my throttle body.

Make sure the engine is cool. spray it with like a "shower setting". DO NOT use a powerwsher or "jet" setting. Do not use any setting that could get it to force water into locations. Get it nice and wet everywhere. Dillute some APC in a bottle. spray it everywhere...pretty liberally. Let it sit for about 30 seconds. Spray some more really quick and then take a brush and agitate and brush everywhere possible. Use some muscle on some metal areas that you can see is dirty and messy. Spray some more APC randomly around. Let sit for 30 seconds then go back to the hose and hose it all off.

Let sit for about 5 minutes, then turn the engine on, run the engine for about 10 minutes, then shut off the car. Wait for it to cool back down and then either manually apply VRT or dillute some VRT and spray it randomly around.

Im not so familiar with the '04 and up F150's and dont know what engine you have, but I believe their similar, so keep this in mind. On my generation of truck, the spark plug wells are vertical, with individual coils on each plug. And it is a common issue with water getting in there, and staying there and causing misfires with the coil. Try to not spray water directly at the plugs, and have an air hose handy if you can, and stick the nozzle in the plug wells and blow each of them out really good when your done.

just make sure you dont spray a hard stream directly into the alternator or the air box or any of the major electrical components and you will be fine. let the engine get a little warm not hot but warm spray it down with apc give a little scrub and then use a light spray and rinse. if you notice any issues just put spray some wd40 in any connectors and you will be fine. I acutally just rub mine down with some apc and a rag and then follow up with some vrt. and if you really feel nervous place a plastic bag over the alternator and if you have an open element air filter cover that too.

:iagree:

I clean my 09 Sierra engine and bay. Here is what I posted in another thread/site. One method is for home/driveway. If trying to clean the fire wall and entire bay area of a truck I find the second method at a wand car wash the best. Must let it sit awhile to cool, while working on the rest of the truck.

No high pressure wash! If I wash the engine and bay at home (cold engine) I use the method Adam covers in his vid.....THis is good for cleaning the majority of the bay and engine..

http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-Videos_DVD5_3.aspx

You can use diluted simple green instead of the Adams but I like the Adams all purpose cleaner, safer on paint etc.... Rinse with soft water or you will have water spots out your...ears...yes I cover the alternator and do not put water under pressure in engine compartment...

IF, engine compartment is real dirty or dusty and I want to get the firewall and all hard to reach , with a soft brush, places clean I head to my friends wand (pay and spray) car wash. Open hood to allow engine to cool while you work on wheel, wells, tires and rest of car......best to go during off hours...

THEN, make sure your engine has cooled, do to the size of the engine bay take the low pressure tire cleaner and wet down the bay and engine...on my smaller cars I use Adams all purpose cleaner...cover alternator and do not soak your plug ignitor hardware...stay off direct exhaust spray unless way cool...Adams soft boar brush, let this sit for awhile, then use the soft water rinse, Low pressure....close hood and the clean front of car..

Remove covers from what ever you covered! Start up, move to drying area and wipe down car and engine bay...no water spots with soft water rinse..no need for high pressure...

Your engine bay gets wet driving in the rain but high pressure water will/can send water where you do not want it...

<!-- / message -->

once you get a good cleaning just a few rags and some apc and the engine will stay clean i havent washed under my hood for a couple of years i just keep it maintained and its fine occasionally i get down to the block to try and clean any oil gung off of it but otherwise i just keep everyhting wiped down when i wash it.

Im not so familiar with the '04 and up F150's and dont know what engine you have, but I believe their similar, so keep this in mind.

The engines on the older models and the newer ones are not identical at all. The spark plugs on 04 and up models arent even visible unless you remove 2 plastic covers.

once you get a good cleaning just a few rags and some apc and the engine will stay clean i havent washed under my hood for a couple of years i just keep it maintained and its fine occasionally i get down to the block to try and clean any oil gung off of it but otherwise i just keep everyhting wiped down when i wash it.

A little more often down this way. We have a lot of dust. Even the cars that stay on the road get dust/dirt covering the entire engine bay, firewall etc (stuff you cannot wipe). And a truck is worse unless it stays on the road. I know mine is off road enough that every 4-6 months it needs a full bay wash. Ya the cars about every 6 months to a year.

And agree wipe down what you can every wash or so... VRT seem to make it easier to clean and not hold dust??

Stay away from those cans of "engine cleaner." Years ago I tried them and they did nice little designs in the paint of a previous car of mine, and I even put the dropcloth(plastic) on the fenders. It was from my using a too strong setting on the nozzle select. :o

Archived