Customer Service 866.965.0400

lighting

Fit08

Question

Hello folks,

I've been pondering gettting more lights but I'm stumped on what to purchase. Why? Well my one car is white which we all know has it's good and bad points related to paint correction. I do have a single 500watt halogen light which with the white seems useless (so I figure two would be the same?)

What is our opion on 4' florescent lights, I hear this type of lighting is unforgiving. Maybe get one or two of these. I've seen some short of tripod for these some body shops seem to have them.

6 answers to this question

There's actually a few recent posts about lighting here if I recall. Might save yourself some time in awaiting a reply to hit up the search function at the top of the page. I only know because I was investigating lighting a few days ago :)

Ralph, I've been playing with different lights recently. Florescent lights are great for seeing almost everything. That "almost everything" part is swirls. It will show them but, on a white car it will make it harder. Don't get me wrong, I have two 4 footers in my garage and I can see the scratches with them but my car is flat black. The problem that I'm having with 500W halogens lately is that they are too bright to see swirls on a high metallic car. I've tried a 150W halogen and it didn't work. I've also tried a LED flashlight...didn't work. One product out there that I've yet to try is a Xenon bulb light. It might be the trick.

Tomorrow I will be working on a blueish-grey metallic mini-van. I'll take my florescent light wand along and try it.

One thing too is try different angles that the light is at. And different distances away from the car.

Hello folks,

I've been pondering gettting more lights but I'm stumped on what to purchase. Why? Well my one car is white which we all know has it's good and bad points related to paint correction. I do have a single 500watt halogen light which with the white seems useless (so I figure two would be the same?)

What is our opion on 4' florescent lights, I hear this type of lighting is unforgiving. Maybe get one or two of these. I've seen some short of tripod for these some body shops seem to have them.

My florescent ceiling lights show everything, I thought of doing the same thing. If you do let us know how it worked out!

I have a white car and I think two 8footer. My car looks amazing in the garage, and in the sun not so much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. This is what I'm hearing and seeing as well.

So, I'm thinking it would be better just to do the correction in the sunlight baring heat issues on paint and you would save money on lights and hassle of in/out of garage. OR is this just the pracice we learn to live with. In/out of garage to check our progress?

Archived